Background History on the Mullen HWP Model

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Smith

Background History on the Mullen HWP Model

Post by William Smith »

Hello,

I have this recently acquired Mullen HWP D-10 shown below. It seems to be a fine guitar and I would like to know more about the background of this instrument.

I have seen some posts from around 2006 where Mr. Wallace stated that there were many differences between this and the RP model, such as the changer and other components.

Does anyone know the backstory of how/why this model, the HWP, came to be? What is different exactly about the changer and other components? What necessitated the different design? I understand that the HWP was discontinued about the time of the introduction of the G2. It seems there was a HWP G2. Is there any backstory on that part or why they were discontinued?

I find this kind of stuff interesting and any information is appreciated. Also, if anyone else has one of these HWPs, let me know your thoughts on what you think about them.

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I do know a little bit about the HWP model as I had a few conversations with Herby Wallace about them.

I do know that they had all polished pedals and levers and specially wound single coil pickups. I'm not sure there were any differences in the changer and mechanics or if that model had solid keyheads.

You can go to https://mullenguitars.com/mullen-serial-numbers and look at the serial number listing for the years they were built. For the real story and history, I would suggest you contact Mike Mantey, or Del Mullen at the Mullen factory, if he's available, for the details on the HWP models.

Herby was the dealer for his HWP models and I believe their production was discontinued as a result of his passing.

EDIT: My bad, I just looked at the website and it looks like the HWP [H prefix] designation is no longer included in the Pre Royal numbers. I don't see them in the G2 listings either.

Looks like they are listed in the Royal Precision listings, 2000 through 2002, which is confusing because the HWP models were Pre Royal until the G2 line was introduced.

I guess you'd have to contact the company for the correct information. Sorry.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

One of the items included in the HWP option was the tone control. Not totally sure, but I believe Herby also had the PRP style undercarriage with the center rail.
Jerry Overstreet

Right, I forgot about the tone control on the HWP model.

And yes, all HWP models prior to the G2 were the Pre RP model with the center rail.

As I recall, Herby's personal guitars that he played only had 4 KLs and they did double duty for both necks. Of course if you bought one from him, you could set it up any way you wanted.
William Smith

Post by William Smith »

Good info, thanks.

This particular guitar has the tone knob. It also has a single coil on the C6 and a rail humbucker on the e9. It also has 5 knee levers and s/n puts it at a 2006 according to that chart.

So, I see posts about pre-RP Mullen. Is this essentially a pre-RP? I assume a pre-RP is significantly different than an RP in some ways. Is this a pre-RP changer?
Jerry Overstreet

William Smith wrote:Good info, thanks.

This particular guitar has the tone knob. It also has a single coil on the C6 and a rail humbucker on the e9. It also has 5 knee levers and s/n puts it at a 2006 according to that chart.

So, I see posts about pre-RP Mullen. Is this essentially a pre-RP? I assume a pre-RP is significantly different than an RP in some ways. Is this a pre-RP changer?
Yes, essentially a Pre RP with the specific changes that were already mentioned. I would guess that the original HWP single coil on the front neck was replaced with the current BL705 humbucker

The RP has some cabinet differences and does not have the center rail, and I believe the strings attach in slots in the changer fingers rather than pins.

As I stated earlier, I defer to Mike Mantey, Del Mullen or perhaps Mickey Adams for the absolute and accurate information.
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

I think the maple cabinet was different on the HWP models for the thickness.
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Mike Mantey

Hwp

Post by Mike Mantey »

So here's the deal. The HWP model is just the Pre-RP with tone control, polished pedals and knees, and a special wound single coil pickup. How it came to be: The RP came out and we were going to discontinue the Pre-Rp. Herby loved that model and sound so much that we went ahead and kept making the Pre-Rp under the name HWP model with his features and they could only be purchased through him and we focused on the RP model. Then the G2 model came out and it took the cake over the other models. We still wanted to do something for Herby so there was an HWP G2, which is the G2 but came standard with polished package and tone control. So in summary there was nothing different in mechanics or anything, just the extra features. That is about it.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

some info in this thread from Del Mullen himself:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Dale McPherson

Post by Dale McPherson »

William , I am pretty sure I used to own that guitar. If it is the same one....it has a polished pedal bar. It is an awesome playing and sounding guitar. Especially with the 705 Pup.
William Smith

Re: Hwp

Post by William Smith »

Mike Mantey wrote:So here's the deal. The HWP model is just the Pre-RP with tone control, polished pedals and knees, and a special wound single coil pickup. How it came to be: The RP came out and we were going to discontinue the Pre-Rp. Herby loved that model and sound so much that we went ahead and kept making the Pre-Rp under the name HWP model with his features and they could only be purchased through him and we focused on the RP model. Then the G2 model came out and it took the cake over the other models. We still wanted to do something for Herby so there was an HWP G2, which is the G2 but came standard with polished package and tone control. So in summary there was nothing different in mechanics or anything, just the extra features. That is about it.
That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.
William Smith

Post by William Smith »

Dale McPherson wrote:William , I am pretty sure I used to own that guitar. If it is the same one....it has a polished pedal bar. It is an awesome playing and sounding guitar. Especially with the 705 Pup.
Wow, that is cool. I bought this guitar on the forum from a man named Ricky Thompson. The guitar seems to play well and is far superior to any other guitar I have owned. There will be times when I am picking on it and notice just how good the tone is on it. I would imagine it to be a pro-quality guitar for sure.

So if this is essentially a Pre-RP, I understand what folks on here are talking about when referring to how they enjoy the Pre-RPs.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I bought my pre RP from Herby in 94. He explained the same difference as stated to the HWP. I still own that guitar and it has been trouble free. Herby was my hero and friend.