Cheap Tricones

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ally

Cheap Tricones

Post by Ally »

Any one played the new budget Tricones? Over here they're badged as Vintage AMG-2, but probably go under a different name elsewhere. They're retailing for about £450-£500 here. Also, would a National cone upgrade be in order?

Cheers

AC
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

I saw one of the new Regal Tricones (round neck)at McCabe's in West L.A. the other day. Was in too much of a hurry to try it out. Probably the same guitar (made in the Czech Republic). It looked like it was pretty well made. It was hung on the wall next to a new National tri-cone. There appeared to be a slightly different neck fitting system, visible through the sound "holes". I think it was priced about $1100.00, which is not "cheap" in my book. My question is: would Regal put one of their square necks(as used on their wood body resonator guitars) on one of these new tri-cones at no extra charg? I might phone them and ask. An original National style 1 with the metal clad neck is a much sexier guitar. Maybe one day a "cheap" one will cross my path.
Haere mai,
Steve H.
S8A6<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Honum on 10 May 2002 at 03:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

From what I remember of the Supro guitars I saw when I was in London, those are the same as the Johnson brand sold here in the USA.
Elderly Instruments says this about the Johnson tricone guitar they're selling for $750:
<SMALL>These are decent tricones, but the overall workmanship, fit & finish are far from superlative; simply stated, these are OK guitars, not great. </SMALL>
------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 10 May 2002 at 08:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

You get what you pay for.