Silverface Pro Reverb?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andrew Frost

Silverface Pro Reverb?

Post by Andrew Frost »

Any thoughts on these amps? 40 watts, single 12.
Reissue or otherwise.
I've been using a Deluxe Reverb with steel and guitar for ages.
I figure the PR would be a better amp for this dual purpose use.
35 lbs and a little more headroom.
Is this comparable to "half a Twin" by any stretch?
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I can't offer any insights on the new reissue 1x12 Pro Reverbs, but the old Silverface Pros, with 2 12s are almost as heavy and loud as a Twin. Great amps if you can handle the weight.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Andrew Frost

Post by Andrew Frost »

Thanks Paul. I'm only just learning about these amps. I did't realize the originals were a 2x12 configuration. I presume the 1x12 only exists as a reissue.
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Best guitar amp I ever had was a silverface pro reverb. Just the right amount of breakup in a typical room. I played my MSA sidekick through it and it sounded ok but now might think it lacked headroom for steel. It met its end in a hotel fire in Pickering many years ago. It was considerably lighter than a twin and didn't have casters. 2 x 12.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Per Mojotone; the silverface Pro Reverb weighs 58 pounds, and the silverface Twin Reverb weighs 69 pounds.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

If I was still on a regular double duty gig Steel/Guitar, I would grab a used SF PRO RVB in a NY minute. Even a mid to late 70's with the Ultra output. I would also change the baffle and use a single 12.

OK- before you respond, I yanked the 2x12's from my 70 Twin and replaced it with an 8 OHM 15" JBL and used that amp non stop for over 20 years.

Was there a presumed volume difference ? 4 ohm output to an 8 ohm speaker ? I guess its theoretically probable but there was none that I could ever notice and it would only be apparent if I was maxed out anyway. It wasn't an 85 watt amp reduced down to 42.5 watts if thats what we are thinking.

A used 70's SF Pro in the $600 to $700 is probably the best amp deal on the planet right now.

and this

I also did the same with a PV Nashville 112, pulled the stock 4 ohm "MID strong" speaker and replaced it with a bright 8 ohm EMMI. Played that amp for over 2 years steady before I sold it.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Andrew Frost wrote:Thanks Paul. I'm only just learning about these amps. I did't realize the originals were a 2x12 configuration. I presume the 1x12 only exists as a reissue.
You are correct. The 68 Custom Pro Reverb is the new 1x12 version. It is not, however, a "reissue". Like the other amps in the 68 series, it is a modified AB763 circuit dressed up in silverface cosmetics.

The original silverface Pro (and the name "Pro" dates back to the tweed era) was a 2x12 and 2x6L6 platform. Basically a Twin Reverb with half the power and most of the weight.

I have had my 68 Custom Pro Reverb for a couple of months now and it is very nearly the perfect package for my needs. It has classic Fender tone and weighs the same as my 74 Princeton Reverb but with 40 watts is much more usable in more situations. Keep in mind the amp was created for guitar players and was designed to have more crunch as you increase the volume. This was accomplished by increasing the value of the negative feedback resistor. I would like to have more clean headroom and will explore replacing the resistor, but the amp still performs very well for steel guitar if you are using a volume pedal.

Here is a link to some demos Rick made of the 68 CPR. Swipe right to the last one where he plays his Emmons PSG through it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CKAMZhzs8rj/
Last edited by Tim Whitlock on 30 Aug 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I've never seen an original-issue Pro Reverb with a single 12" speaker - always 2x12. The original Pro, no reverb, was always a single 15" speaker, from the early tweed amps through the blackface Pro, which I believe went out of production around 1965 when Leo left the company. But the Pro Reverb was always 2x12". I suppose some type of special-order one could have left the factory, but I've never seen or even heard of one.

Personally, I like the original, 40-watt blackface and silverface Pro Reverb. I think they make a pretty nice guitar/steel amp if I don't have to be ridiculously loud. More juice (nominal 40 vs. 20 watts) and wider speaker spread than a Deluxe Reverb, but still a sweet sound partly owing to the Pro's tube rectifier vs. silicone diode rectifier in the Twin Reverb. They are definitely lighter than a Twin Reverb, but the actual weight depends on exactly which speakers they came with. I've seen various speakers - Utah, Oxford, Jensen, and so on - they can vary some.

The later Pro, Super, and Twin Reverbs (starting around '76 or '77) went to an ultralinear circuit that boosted the clean power to a nominal 70(Pro/Super) and 135(Twin) watts. The original 40-watt non-ultralinear Pro Reverb sweetens up quite a bit earlier than the comparable-period 85-watt Twin Reverb, but the later ultralinear Pro Reverb is almost as loud-and-clean as a blackface Twin Reverb. Heavier than the original Pro too, due to bigger iron. I'd just as soon have an original Twin Reverb - in fact, I have a blackface '66 and a silverface '69/70 Twin. But they're more steel amps for me, and I think the UL Pro Reverb is also a pretty good pedal steel amp.

I don't have a ton of experience with the recent reissue Fenders like the PCB Princeton/Deluxe/Twin/Pro. I've played some and they sound OK to me, but I prefer the old amps. I haven't been inside any, but I have been told (someone perhaps could verify) that the components are not surface-mount and the tubes are chassis mount with flying leads. If that is so, it takes some of my maintenance worries away. But I keep on finding old 70s silverfaces around the same price or less expensive than the reissues so I keep on going with the old amps. I mean, the large silverface amps are often quite a LOT less expensive than the reissues. Never had any problems with them that couldn't be sorted out. And the old Fenders are definitely easier to work on and more moddable. I have heard of cases of the boards on some (I don't think many) SF amps going conductive, but I don't believe I've ever actually seen one. My bet is that storage in wet environments and possibly very humid climates might be the cause of that.

Another amp in this sort of framework is the early 80s Rivera-era Concert 112. These are the last of the regular production hand-wired amps. With the original speaker (one I had 25 years ago came with a 12" EV Force or SRO), pretty heavy. But I got one a couple of years ago and put in one of TC Furlong's 12" neo speakers in it. Sounds great and brought the weight to a reasonable level. Not exactly light, but not bad. And it was very inexpensive - less than $500. I was pretty surprised to find it so cheap, they definitely have a following. And I've seen others in that range since.
Andrew Frost

Post by Andrew Frost »

Thanks for the perspectives here fellas, appreciate it.
Gotta say I'm somewhat curious about this Custom PR 1x12 model that's out and about now. I may just have to rent one for a while.
I bet two of them would sound pretty decent as well. :wink:
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Andrew Frost wrote:Thanks for the perspectives here fellas, appreciate it.
Gotta say I'm somewhat curious about this Custom PR 1x12 model that's out and about now. I may just have to rent one for a while.
I bet two of them would sound pretty decent as well. :wink:
At $1400 a pop that would be quite a hefty investment! I got mine on sale from MF for $1200 tax included and I winced when I handed over the cash. I almost never buy new off the shelf due to instant depreciation. But I am happy with the amp. Lightweight, compact, good sounding, enough power and all tube. I peeked inside and the build quality looks to be very good. It checks all the boxes for me or I would have returned it.