What is it about Zum's?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Hey Sandy you need to update your avatar pic :-}

I have a brand new Zum Hybrid D10 (I also have a 2008 Hybrid) and this new guitar is an absolute tone monster...the older Hybrid is a special enough guitar on it's own, but when Bruce handed over "Big Red" in Dallas this year he said to me that it was a killer guitar ....that was an understatement :D

I believe Zum's are without equal in all departments - but then I am slightly biased :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Sandy Inglis

Post by Sandy Inglis »

Hi Paddy
I hope Norfolk Island went OK. I tried to ring you yesterday but you wern't back yet. I intend to do decent pix of me with my new toy!! The rods are great but I'll get you to help set them up - no rush.
I'm finding it easier to learn new licks on a more modern guitar.
Cheers Sandy
01'Zumsteel D10 9+9; Sho Bud D10 SuperPro; 6 String Lap Steel (Homemade); Peavey Nashville 1000; Fender Deluxe 85;
1968 Gibson SG; Taylor 710 CE; Encore Tele Copy; Peterson Tuner; HIWATT T40 C 40W/20W Combo
George Kimery

What is it about Zum's?

Post by George Kimery »

I "accidently" wound up with a Zum. I was playing an Emmons Ext. E-9th push pull. I found out that a family wanted to sell a steel player's Zum at a great price because he had alzheimer's and had a Zum and a Sho Bud. They were needing money, and wanted to sell the Zum. The only reason that I bought it was to resell it and make a nice profit. When I got it, the guy had "worked" on the E-9th neck and had all the rods and adjustments all screwed up. I had worked on Emmons PP's my whole life, but never an all pull guitar. So for 6 hours, I worked and figured the thing out, and got all the pulls working great. He had not touched the C-6th, so it was fine. So I was ready to sell it. I decided I had better plug it in, just to make sure that it worked. I had no intention on selling my PP and keeping the Zum. BUT.....when I started playing it, my first impression was how solid it felt and how good it played. Then I realized how good it sounded. I couldn't stop playing it. Within 10 minutes, the decision had been made. THIS GUITAR IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. I sold my PP instead, which I never, ever expected to do. No regrets at all, it was the best move I have ever made.

I like it for all the reason's that other's have posted. Plays great, stays in tune, and sounds great. What more can you ask of a guitar. I don't like the wood look burl formica finish and I call it an Ugly Duckling that plays and sounds like a Swan. Other players have told me they think it is a beautiful guitar. To each his own.

I give Bruce Zumsteg the highest praise for giving me such a great guitar.
Uffe Edefuhr

Post by Uffe Edefuhr »

This is the result of my Winter Project. 1978 ZUM, was in bad condition. After a couple of weeks work it came out like this.
Uffe
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Nice job, Uffe :D
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Tor Arve Baroy

Post by Tor Arve Baroy »

I recently bought a zumsteel s10. 1977 model. I have been playing a gfi expo until now, and i must say that the zum is way better.
Before the gfi i had a shobud proffessional. The zum is better than the shobud to.

That blue zum in sweden is purdy :D
Bob Poole

What is it about a Zum ?

Post by Bob Poole »

Encores ARE included I guess??? I'm on the list for one as of last week !!!
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Did the Zum's go through significant design changes over their history, eg...from a 2x2 changer to 3x3, etc?

I believe some changes were made to the bell crank design at some point...

What years?
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

After having owned a Zum since starting this thread, it should have been "what isn't it about a Zum."![/url]
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Tom I think Bruce changed the bellcrank design around 98,99 and then went to an extruded pedal bar, and the side attach pedals about 2001 ish ! ... not sure about the early changers, but of course the Hybrid changer option is probably his biggest innovation in recent years.
Mark Wayne

Post by Mark Wayne »

Niels,
I have a 2007 Zum Hybrid and am impressed with its ease of pedal action in relation to tension and travel. I've never played a guitar where such minimal effort had to be exerted in this area (the Carters were close), which results in quicker decision making in phrasing. As for tone, the Zum seems to let you 'not work as hard' to get a great, full, warm tone.

Mark Wayne Krutke
****markwayne.biz****
Leo Grassl

Post by Leo Grassl »

Are new Zums still being manufactured??
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Leo you would have to confirm that with Bruce, but he built me a new Hybrid this year which I picked up in March at the Dallas steel show.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Zum's have this great big, in your face VOICE, which I happen to love. No, they're not particularly twangy, but sing with great authority. I'll have an SD-12 extended E9 someday.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Zums cool post revisited from 2014. An here in 2021 the same opinion's an facts are the same"!.
Sandy Inglis

Post by Sandy Inglis »

Definitely.
I play out about once a month just on PSG and hardly have to touch the tuning!
As well as the weight factor, the feel of the instrument is great. I have begun to experiment with various sounds and been surprised at the results.
I am currently getting more into country music and discovering some gems amongst it! I have a long list of PSG projects to get on to as the country is at present in a lockdown, but I have a back-load of household chores to finish first.

Sandy
01'Zumsteel D10 9+9; Sho Bud D10 SuperPro; 6 String Lap Steel (Homemade); Peavey Nashville 1000; Fender Deluxe 85;
1968 Gibson SG; Taylor 710 CE; Encore Tele Copy; Peterson Tuner; HIWATT T40 C 40W/20W Combo
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

OK, this is an old thread. But just to reiterate:

1. Sound great.

2. Play great and stay in tune well.

3. Solid and reliable.

4. Feel great, including ergonomics and weight.

5. Look great.

These are the reasons they are so coveted by players that know. For the most part, resale value follows how players view the quality of attributes #1-5.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

One caveat I'd add.- I was disappointed with the sustain on the Single 12 Universal I had. It's the one with the trapezoidal shaped end plates. When I switched to a Fessenden people who followed my band commented on the improved sustain.
I assumed it was either just that guitar or that model because I've heard Zum D10s that had plenty sustain.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I have two 12-string universal ZumSteels, the sustain is great - very similar to the D10 Zum I have. Must have been something specific about that guitar - perhaps some type of setup issue, or perhaps something else. Great sustain is one of the hallmarks of all 3 of my ZumSteels.

But I think guitars are individual, and some of the exact same brand/model guitars I've tried have been different.