Milkman PSG Amplifiers

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Rierden

Milkman PSG Amplifiers

Post by Tom Rierden »

Any advice/opinions out there in PSGland about Milkman Amps.
Thinking about biting the bullet and pulling the trigger on the 40 watt PSG Model.
Sure are pricey...However,the demos online sound sweet and purdy.

Thanks
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

I've got 2 mini's, one with a 12" and one with a 15". Great amps. I have NOS tubes in mine but they sound great with regular tubes.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I have the Half & Half 15" combo. Best sounding and most portable of all my steel amps.
Tom Dillon

Post by Tom Dillon »

I have/had a few Milkman amps:

- 40W Pedal Steel Mini. I use it often and like it a lot. It's a good balance between weight and headroom for a tube amp and works well for most gigs. Built with top quality components. It makes a great Telecaster amp too. I have bigger amp for louder gigs but rarely use it since I can mic the Mini if needed.

- Milkman "The Amp". I use this for a DI, recording and rehearsals with a TT12 cabinet.

- I had a Half and Half with a Telonics 15 for a while and sold it. It's also a good option. Plenty of headroom and very light.
Tom Dillon
- MSA Legend, On-Trak, fiddles, mandos
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Another Half and Half 15" combo user.
Absolutely love it. Not a fair comparison, but it blows away my Reno and Vegas.

I really think the combo of tube pre, SS power and Neo speaker is a winner.
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Michael Stephens

Post by Michael Stephens »

Another big fan of the Half & Half. A lot more power than I need for rehearsals or small gigs, but perfect for larger gigs and outside. Big, warm, clear great tone. Great reverb as well. And very light weight!
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

If you are a fan of slightly overdriven "voice of angels" tube tone, the 40 watt will let you get there. If you want warm clean tone as loud as you can possibly want, the half & half will get you there.

I've had both...ended up with a half and half with an Earth Drive for pedal steel, but really liked the 40 watt cranked tone - the half and half was just a lot lighter...in that vein, I've ended up with a Milkman "the Amp" on my pedalboard now that I'm playing lap and dobro......
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Tom Wolverton

Love MM amps

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I have a half and half head. I usually run it with a TT12 in a Rick Johnson cab. Sometimes with a Telonics 15. A nice amp.

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Peter Leavenworth

Milkman amps

Post by Peter Leavenworth »

I have a custom Milkman Sideman 50w head that is terrific. It compares very closely with my 1966 Super Reverb 410 when I run the Sideman through the Super's speakers. And Tim Marcus's customer support couldn't be better.
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullen PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

Two Thumbs up for Milkman Amps. I have several. My favorite is an original Sideman 50 watt w 2 channels. Tim is very responsive and stands behind his products.
Mike Marsh

Two types of Milkman amps.

Post by Mike Marsh »

There are the original Milkman Tube amps 40 and 80 Watt PSG amps and then the higher powered Solid State amps. Both are great high quality clean platforms but of course the Tube amps are my Favorites. They tend to be more dynamic.
2cents,
Mike
Williams Series 700 4X5
Tom Rierden

Milkman 40W PSG Mini

Post by Tom Rierden »

Tom Dillon wrote:I have/had a few Milkman amps:

- 40W Pedal Steel Mini. I use it often and like it a lot. It's a good balance between weight and headroom for a tube amp and works well for most gigs. Built with top quality components. It makes a great Telecaster amp too. I have bigger amp for louder gigs but rarely use it since I can mic the Mini if needed.

- Milkman "The Amp". I use this for a DI, recording and rehearsals with a TT12 cabinet.

- I had a Half and Half with a Telonics 15 for a while and sold it. It's also a good option. Plenty of headroom and very light.
Thanks for the reply Tom! Does your 40W Mini Have a 12" or 15" Speaker?
Tom Dillon

Re: Milkman 40W PSG Mini

Post by Tom Dillon »

Tom Rierden wrote:Thanks for the reply Tom! Does your 40W Mini Have a 12" or 15" Speaker?
My 40W mini has the stock Milkman 4 ohm 12" speaker. It sounds great as is. Like a couple forum members have written about, I had a vintage JBL D120F re-coned to 4 ohm, and I intend to put that in at some point. It will make the amp heavier but I'm pretty sure I'll like the sound better.

I have an amp/cab switcher and I've been able to compare the Mini amp with a few 4 ohm 15" speakers in different sized cabinets - JBL D130, EPS-15C and Telonics. Also a DoubleT-12. All sounded great to me at lower volume in my music room. I liked the JBL best. At full volume for gigs, I've only used the Mini with the stock speaker.
Tom Dillon
- MSA Legend, On-Trak, fiddles, mandos
John Dowden

Post by John Dowden »

My favorite thing about my Milkman amps, besides the tone and craftsmanship, is that 8 years after purchasing my Mini Tim still answers any random questions I have within minutes on Facebook. Try getting Fender to do that.
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

Absolutely great amps. Tim is the man!

Run run away from those Peaveys!

:D

JMO