RIP Paul Cotton of Poco

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jim Cohen

RIP Paul Cotton of Poco

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sad news, Paul Cotton, guitarist who replaced Jim Messina in Poco in 1970 and wrote some of their finest material and best vehicles for Rusty Young's steel guitar work (e g. Bad Weather) has passed unexpectedly, only a few months after bandmate,Rusty Young.

The following was posted by this family:

Cherished Husband, Father , Brother, Uncle, devoted Friend and Fan Favorite ---

Frontman PAUL COTTON - Legendary Lead Guitar, Lead Singer, and Dominant Composer of Country Rock's Famed Band POCO for FORTY YEARS has passed away unexpectedly, peacefully - he was 78.

Recognized with multiple Gold and Platinum Albums and numerous other awards, Cotton blazed an unforgotten trail of Timeless songwriting, "inimitable" Guitar rifts and leads with his personal hand movements and tones, a pioneering fusion of blues-based rock guitar tone with Country music - his "Incomparable voice" reaching highs and lows making his Solo's and POCO's unique Harmonies inspirations for other bands like the Eagles, America & Crosby Stills & Nash to name a few.

Cotton is best known for his International composition Hits and Album Titles - "Heart of the Night", "Bad Weather", "Indian Summer", "Under the Gun", "Barbados", "Firebird", "the Coast is Clear", "Changing Horses", and a host of others. He sang Lead on POCO'S "Rose of Cimarron" along with Schmit. Painting pictures with his Lyrics, he was known for playing the Gretsch "Bird of Paradise - White Falcon" for decades.

Receiving his first Guitar at age 13, Cotton self taught, in addition to dismantling and reassembling each instrument he had . His first record was released in 1959 , while still in High School . His complete History can be found @ www.pocopaulcotton.com (which was being updated at the time of his death) = under the "Links" tab "Visit Rich's Paul Cotton Archive site", and "The Legend" Link. completing a SIXTY FIVE YEAR vocation that was in his Heart and Soul. Before Paul joined POCO, he co-founded Chicago's "Illinois Speed Press" with his dear friend and Blues Great Kal David.

POCO, widely considered to be one of the 'Founders of Country Rock' sound, was formed from the break-up of 2 year old Buffalo Springfield, leaving Richie Furay and Jimmy Messina. Cotton replaced Messina in early 1970 when he joined Loggins and Messina. Cotton's roommate in POCO, Timothy B. Schmit went on to join the Eagles, after they had tried POCO's other Bass player Randy Meisner. Cotton was referred to Furay by Peter Cetera (Chicago), and gave POCO the needed "Rock Sound" as they had been labeled "too Country for Rock, and too Rock for Country". After Furay's departure in 1974 and Schmit in 1977, Cotton & Young resurrected POCO, and went on to win critical acclaim - most notably for their their joint collaboration album "Legend".
POCO composed and recorded 24 Studio albums and are featured on an additional 25 Compilation releases.

Dubbed "King Cotton" by 'Beatles' George Harrison, and given a bear hug by Jimi Hendriks saying "Don't ever stop writing songs like that, Man" after performing "Bad Weather" - Cotton performed Worldwide - Shea Stadium, Carnegie Hall, Central Park, Madison Square Gardens, Fillmore East & West and more.

To the delight of tens of thousands of fans; He shared the stage and performances with other Legends with Eric Clapton , the Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Willie Nelson, Jefferson Airplane, Beach Boys, Procol Harem, Moody Blues, ZZ Top, America, Loggins & Messina, Allman Brothers, Mashall Tucker, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels, Steppenwolf, Yes, , the No-Nukes Concert at Madison Square Garden with Jackson Brown, Graham Nash and Bonnie Raitt which featured Cotton's hit, and so many more -,

Paul Cotton has released 4 Solo Albums - 'Changing Horses', 'Firebird', 'Coast is Clear' , and '100% Paul Cotton' - released in 2014 and produced by Rosario Scavelli. He was in ducted to the Alabama Hall of Fame, TTHS Hall & Wall of Fame and the Colorado Music Hall of Fame in 2015- the last Reunion of original members.

In 2005, Cotton met, then married Caroline Ford of Key West, FL where they permanently reside and summer in Oregon. He is survived by his wife and two sons Chris and James, and four siblings. As a fervent fisher and sailor, his love for the Nautical life made his love for his Floribbean Keys community and the lifestyle inspiring for songwriting and his countless beloved Friends. His most treasured awards were Key West PAUL COTTON DAY - Nov. 15, Honorary KW Conch, and Keystock Lifetime Achievement Award.

After leaving full time band touring in 2010 - Cotton performed in Key West with The Paul Cotton Band of Key West, of San Diego, of Oregon, of Seattle, of the Midwest, and one in the Northeast . This made his Touring schedule his own, performing his own songs mixed with a few hits of his prior bands.

There will be a Private and Public Celebration of Life + a Concert + a Reign as "Grand Admiral" at the 2nd Line Parade the last week of January in Key West, FL. open to the public.

Information on contributing to his Music Trust Scholarship for low income students at TTHS is www,venmo.com/u/PAUL-COTTON-8 his heart would Soar for a contribution to others.

Always humble, grateful and sometimes shy this "Legend in his own wright" and his music will live forever - Thankfully !
[/list]
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Very sad. As the very well written rememeberance words say he brought Rock guitar to Country.
RIP Mr.Cotton.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Man that's a shock, he was one of my faves. Last I heard him was on the Rusty Young tribute.

Thanks for posting the nice bio, Jim.

RIP Paul!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Paul had an exciting and colorful career. Sad our icons are slipping away at an alarming pace. God bless Paul, may he rest in peace.
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

Oh man sad news. I used to see him with Illinois speed press playing clubs around Chicago. Talk to him a couple times great guy great guitar and writer
RIP paul
Ake Banksell

Post by Ake Banksell »

He was very important in my musical life too.🤞🍻
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

This is such sad news..... Paul was as much to Poco as Jimmy was. A great guitarist, singer and writer.
One of my favorite songs of his...... about being in Poco:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-gLATuAWE
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Oh no...what sad news.

Here's a video from 2004 of Paul performing my favorite Poco tune, Bad Weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHnHFg1F2I8

Rest in peace and thank you for decades of great music.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Sad news. Still love the Poco sound, especially Bad Weather and Rose of Cimarron. RIP Paul.
Chuck
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I’m a springtime boy
and I look for the joy
Of a world in bloom
could it come
Never too soon
And while the world is turning
And the sun is burning
Do you think in my yearning
that the journey is through
I can't leave it up to you

“You’ve Got Your Reasons”, by Paul Cotton

He brought a spirit to Poco that changed its character - in a good way.
RIP, and condolences to all who might have known him personally.

Thanks for posting the news.
Will Houston

Post by Will Houston »

Wow, shocker. I also will remember him from one of my favorite bands Illinois Speed Press and one of my most listened to songs of all time PNS (When you come around) from Speed Presses first album...big bummer.
Bruce Heffner

How sad

Post by Bruce Heffner »

Thank you Jim for the news, even if it makes me sad. I met Paul and Rusty around 2006 at a gig in Phoenixville Pa. Rusty needed an certain amp, of course I had one, and they offered me a great seat so we drove it there. They were so nice to me and kept me after the show for a half hour chat. What a great memory of my favorite band.
Bruce from Arizona these days
Ake Banksell

Post by Ake Banksell »

He was very important in my musical life too.🤞🍻
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Ohh man...such sad news...Paul was so talented...may he rest peacefully...
On a personal note,we opened for Poco at Lupo's in Providence and Paul,Rusty and the band were truly excellent guys.
Last edited by Chris Boyd on 4 Aug 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Sad terrible news

Paul added so much to Poco's material
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Sad news for certain. I was able to catch Paul with Poco a few times before Richie left the group way back when.

RIP Paul, thx for the great music and songs.

tp
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website