Zum Encore

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Griffin

Zum Encore

Post by Larry Griffin »

Do you guys have any suggestions on purchasing a Zum Encore pros an cons Thanks for feedback
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

The Zum Encore is a fine guitar and a step up from the Stage One. Lots of owners on here with all positive reviews. I have the Stage One and it plays smooth, stays in tune and feather light. The Encore is a pro model with more available changes and killer tone.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Try a Search on “Zum Encore” in “Pedal Steel.”
Al Evans

Re: Zum Encore

Post by Al Evans »

Larry Griffin wrote:Do you guys have any suggestions on purchasing a Zum Encore pros an cons Thanks for feedback
Pros? Plays easy, stays tuned, sounds great, doesn't weigh much, and for some reason is always just a whole lot of fun to play.

Cons? Uh...well, uh, it's not as fancy as my more expensive pedal steels....

My only suggestion is to get one if you can. You've got to keep constant watch and act fast if you want a used one!

And contrariwise, if for some reason you decide you don't like it, you can get back what you paid for it in a couple of hours just by advertising it for sale here.

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Lee Warren

Post by Lee Warren »

Hey Larry,
I have a Zum Encore (along with an Emmons and a Derby), and cannot recommend it highly enough.
It’s an outstanding guitar that plays great, sounds great and looks great.
I ordered mine with 4 pedals and 5 knees, and for me, it can do anything that my other guitars can.
It’s also lightweight, which is a wonderful thing for my aging back.
The Encore is an exceptionally good value, providing pro level features and performance at a very reasonable price.
They also retain their value in the used market (where they are hard to come by).

Doug Earnest builds a great guitar, and stands behind his product 100%.
What more could you ask for?
Two thumbs way up!
Lee
Jamie Mitchell

Post by Jamie Mitchell »

I've been using an Encore for around 6 years, as my only pedal steel. I started on a Sh- Bud, a Pro III, but quickly decided that I needed something lighter.
I love the Encore - although I should mention that I haven't played a huge number of pedal steels (I am short, so it's a p.i.t.a to sit behind other people's guitars). It's very light and easy to transport - fits in the overhead bin of a plane.

It might not have the cool factor as a Sho-Bud or an Emmons, but it's been really useful for me, and I'd highly recommend d it.
Tore Blestrud

Post by Tore Blestrud »

I use one when I have to fly to gigs (5 times so far this year). Great guitar.
Light weight, stays in tune, does not move on stage, sounds fine (humbucker in mine).
There is a definite difference when switching to my Push/Pull or Franklin, but the difference in sound and build quality is smaller than the difference in price might suggest.
Emmons D-10 P/P 78", Franklin D-10, Zum Encore. Sho-Bud LDG