Lubricating Changers

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Edwards

Lubricating Changers

Post by Tony Edwards »

What is the proper way to lube the changers on a pedal steel. I don't see any way anything can "seep" between the tightly placed changers. Do I pour from the top or do I turn it over and pour from the bottom? Thanks in advance for your input.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

Greg nails it.
Donny Hinson

Re: Lubricating Changers

Post by Donny Hinson »

Tony Edwards wrote: I don't see any way anything can "seep" between the tightly placed changers. Do I pour from the top or do I turn it over and pour from the bottom? Thanks in advance for your input.
No, never "pour" anything! :whoa: As the song goes..."just a little goes a long way". Capillary action will "pull" oil (or any liquid) into incredibly small spaces. That's why I prefer liquid lubricants instead of dry lubricants, which cease to migrate once their vehicle has evaporated. Any good lubricant should be used sparingly; once every year or two. I prefer synthetic sewing machine oil or gun oil myself, but anything is better than nothing.
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

Good info. Maintenance is critical.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Johnny Baker

Post by Johnny Baker »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:Here's what I do:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Lubricate/Lubricate.html
You can't beat the lubricant that Greg is telling you to use. I am a professional locksmith with over 23 years in the business and Tri-Flow is the the stuff. In my opinion, Rem-Oil is the next best thing to it, if you can't find Tri-Flow.
Bobby Bonds Sr.

Post by Bobby Bonds Sr. »

I like a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

Bobby Bonds Sr. wrote:I like a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil
...probably tastes better with a bit of soda, though....
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!
Scott Spanbauer

Post by Scott Spanbauer »

I learned about Tri-Flow from my kids, who are (now adult) skateboarders. The received wisdom was that it was the only proper lube for wheel bearings. Clean them first with white gas, then lube with Tri-Flow and you're good for a long time.

I have yet to do this on any of my changers, but I wonder whether or with what to clean the changer before applying the Tri-Flow. My experience with typewriters tells me: Naphtha. Not sure I want to pour white gas into a changer.
Carter D10, Emmons GS10, T8 Stringmaster, 50s Fender Deluxe
johnnyblueheart.com