Rolling Stone article on Greg Leisz

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

Rolling Stone article on Greg Leisz

Post by Bob Carlucci »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... w-1172942/

Not sure if anyone has seen this,but its a very informative article on a prolific and talented player that just knows how to make a song sound great no matter who the band or artist is...
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Good interview. The stuff Greg was doing in the 90s was probably the final trigger that caused me to start learning pedal steel. He is so musical - I think that's why his stuff always works.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

A great read - thanks for posting, Bob!
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Dave Mudgett wrote:He is so musical - I think that's why his stuff always works.
Exactly. It's about taste. The key to his success is his ability to always fit like a glove, regardless of the style of the group he's working with... Americana, jazz, rock, blues, whatever. He does it all so tastefully -- and makes that trick seem simple.
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

And they didn't even mention what is probably his main gig, playing and recording with guitarist Bill Frisell. Greg has had a fabulous career and seems to be everywhere.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Proves a point...... nowhere do you hear him burn...just the right notes at the right time.
Andrew Frost

Post by Andrew Frost »

The stuff Greg was doing in the 90s was probably the final trigger that caused me to start learning pedal steel.
Yes, Dave, same here. I was working in a record store in the late 90s and his work on Frisell's "Good Dog Happy Man" album was deeply inspiring. I wore that album out. I think "Pioneers" is an understated masterpiece. The solo alone on that tune stands up as a melody in its own right.
Ake Banksell

Re: Rolling Stone article on Greg Leisz

Post by Ake Banksell »

Bob Carlucci wrote:https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... w-1172942/

Not sure if anyone has seen this,but its a very informative article on a prolific and talented player that just knows how to make a song sound great no matter who the band or artist is...
What issue is that article in? I’d like to purchase a copy.
Gary Newcomb

Post by Gary Newcomb »

What a fantastic read, I especially loved reading about the vibe of some of those sessions. Thanks for posting!
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻