EHX *9 pedals

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

EHX *9 pedals

Post by b0b »

Let's see. Electro Harmonix has the Mel9, Key9, Synth9, Bass9, C9, and B9 pedals. But maybe what they really need is a K9 pedal.

https://youtu.be/LSBq1YjHL6w?t=40

In all seriousness, though, I'd like to see an Orch9. The Mel9 doesn't quite get realistic orchestra sounds, by design.
-๐•“๐•†๐•“- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Bob, seems they have the 9s covered fairly well.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Don't forget the BAG9, I believe it's only available in early April. Setting #4 is great for pedal steel.

All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

K9 would be great! Barking out a tune!
Or, connect the BAG9 to a mic and wheeze a vocal track.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
b0b

Post by b0b »

The main problem with the Mel9 is the tape artifact meant to emulate a Mellotron. In the real machine, each note warbled independently of the others, much as human vibratos in an orchestra would do. In the Mel9, that effect is applied to the composite signal, making chords sound very "processed". It's not a desirable sound, imho.

The Bag9, on the other hand, is a perfect emulation! :lol:

I remember that Arthur Godfrey had a barking dog keyboard instrument that he used on his radio show. A precursor to the Mellotron?
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Has anyone tried the Synth9?
It has a String Synth setting, setting-8.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Pete Burak wrote:Has anyone tried the Synth9?
It has a String Synth setting, setting-8.
Been fighting the urge to get one. The demos I see on YouTube with guitar sound great.

I've tried the B9, Mel9, and Key9. Wasn't overly impressed with any of them.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Sol9 based on the solina string machine?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

EH is very innovative and hopefully will make an orchestra type 9 pedal. I had one of the original Emmons String machines that had 3 contact pickups you had to position just right. To me, it sounded like an angry hornet's nest LOL.
I survived the sixties!
b0b

Post by b0b »

Richard Sinkler wrote:I've tried the B9, Mel9, and Key9. Wasn't overly impressed with any of them.
Me too.

It's cool that they have the technology to extract individual pitches from chords, and then apply those pitches to other waveforms. It shows great promise in theory, but the actual execution hasn't knocked my socks off. I think they need better waveforms.

Also, beware of power supply noise on these boxes. I had a problem in a studio because of that. Had to disconnect it as a high pitched whine interfered with other equipment in the room.

I was pleased with the POG2, but it was tricky to program.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

The B9 was the first one I tried with Pedal Steel. I hated the "Click" noise. fwiw, to my surprise, I tired it with an electric guitar, and it worked really great. I sold it to a rhythm guitar player and he loves it.
I now have a C9, and gig with it with one band who does songs like Hard To Handle, and Hush, and it works reall great for long Organ-ee sounding chords in the background. It doesn't have an overbearing "Click" sound.
I also have the Key9, which I haven't used on a gig yet. It has some fun sounds but not sure about it's usefullness overall from a gigging standpoint. I was messing with the Flute sound for the intro to Marshall Tuckers, Heard It In A Love Song... because there is a little latency it is a bit wierd but still kinda fun.
Landon Johnson

Post by Landon Johnson »

As someone who has used Mellotron emulation in most of my music (M-Tron) I can say that they sort of sound terrible when played alone. But there is indeed some magic when mixed with other parts.
Justice ProLite, Williams S-10, Quilter TT-12.