Supro Jet Airliner Nut

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Carl McLaughlin

Supro Jet Airliner Nut

Post by Carl McLaughlin »

I need to make a new nut or make some mods to the nut that is there.It looks like it is just standing there,but it must be seated within the neck wood or a very very strong glue.Has anyone replaced theirs?. My problem is the strings are not completely flat across the top when the bar is just laid on them some do not ring true,slight buzz.Anyone have a picture of a removed nut? Supro Jet Airline, 6 string.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Why not just adjust the nut slots with it on the guitar?
Carl McLaughlin

supro

Post by Carl McLaughlin »

Thanks ,that's what i plan on doing.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

You can also try filling any slots that are too deep or too wide. While I have never tried this myself, I’ve read online that a mixture of baking soda and cyanoacrylate glue (crazy glue/superglue) can be used to make a strong, permanent filler. The same glue can be used to anchor the nut to the guitar if it’s become loose.

EDITED: I had mistakenly said “talc”, should have said baking soda.
Last edited by Allan Revich on 25 May 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

StewMac's got some stuff (and a video):

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... owder.html
Steve Gwizdalski

Nut

Post by Steve Gwizdalski »

I used the baking soda and super glue trick a few years ago on a Supro Comet nut...worked well. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U