Steel player on The Pridesmen instrumental album

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Forbes

Steel player on The Pridesmen instrumental album

Post by Chris Forbes »

Anyone know who played steel on The Pridesmen instrumental album? It would be the one that started with Spitoon and Raisin' The Dickens.
Jim Means

Post by Jim Means »

I'm pretty sure it's Gene O'Neal

Jim in Missouri
Musicians have to play.....They really have no choice
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

Thank you Jim, much appreciated. I'm not familiar with his name, but reeeeeeeally enjoyed the steel playing on that album.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Gene played so good. I used to see him at the St. Louis convention. One of the highlights for me.

I don't know the Pridesmen instrumental recording. Do you know where it might be available?

I have this old cassette tape of Gene's. Besides the lighthearted Funkey Monkey, it's full of nice playing from Gene. JIC you may not be aware of it.

I particularly like the C6 rendition of Tripps to Win.

http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/produ ... onkey.html
Graham

Post by Graham »

Jerry:

The lp in question can be bought here"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Pridesmen-S ... SwQupXUL9Q

Their first lp (1973) can be bought here but for a greater price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charley-Pride-P ... SwstxU6sp-
Rebel�
Jerry Overstreet

Thanks Graham.
Jim Means

Post by Jim Means »

Gene was a great player who left us way too soon. So glad I got to see him several times in St. Louis.

Jim in Missouri
Musicians have to play.....They really have no choice
Larry Allen

Post by Larry Allen »

Here in Kauai we have a Sat. Afternoon country radio show...the theme song is "I can't help it if I'm Still in love with you" by the Pridesmen...the steel solo is soooo nice...I've wondered if it was Gene?...Larry :eek:
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Graham

Post by Graham »

Larry:
That song was done on their 2nd lp, which is the one this topic was about. LP was released in 1975.
Rebel�
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlqdqUqbRWY

Here's Charley Pride with Gene O'Neal on pedal steel.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I'll have to dig my vinyl out of boxes. I believe I have both of their albums. Loved Gene's playing I have so many great steel guitar albums. I could probably sell them all and be able to buy a hamburger and a cup of coffee. :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ake Banksell

Post by Ake Banksell »

I bought that 1975 album forty years ago and was immediately struck by Genes playing in A maidens prayer. Anyone knows who are the others to play in there? Everybody but the players in that production are mentioned on the sleeve. :lol:
Jerry Overstreet

That's strange Ake. I got several hits online, but none of them show musicians credits. Seems like a musician's album of work would identify who they are, but it was like that a lot in the 70s.

Nothing on either LP cover. Odd.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Here's one well-known Gene O'Neil story: Gene liked to play his steel ALL the time. He worked with Pride for 9 years. A part of those years was Charlie and Gene in a station wagon. Charlie lived in Dallas. One time Gene was driving the station wagon back to Nashville on a Sunday and drove by a church with a service already underway. Gene stopped and talked the preacher into letting him set up and play gospels on steel guitar the rest of the day.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

here's the 1975 Pridesmen album. great stuff
https://youtu.be/EmZxtQO6nq8
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Jerry Overstreet

Ake, I recognize Tommy Williams as the fiddle player. He's in the center of the LP cover photo with Gene O'Neal just behind and slightly left.

Sorry, I don't know who any of the other players are.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 2 May 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ake Banksell

Post by Ake Banksell »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Ake, I recognize Tommy Williams as the fiddle player. He's on the bottom center of the LP cover with Gene O'Neal just behind and slightly left.

Sorry, I don't know who any of the other players are.
No big deal Jerry but my LP doesn’t have a picture of either the musicians nor their names just a just a spanish guitar drawing.

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Scott! Thanks for posting that link - it's an eye-opener. Gene was a truly fine player, wasn't he?
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Jerry Overstreet

Here's cover art from the 1973 LP.
Dunno if these are the same musicians as in the 75 recording.

If Ronnie Miller is still around maybe he can tell you. He was Charley's last steel player, I think.
Ake Banksell

Post by Ake Banksell »

No Jerry that's an earlier LP from 1973.
David Zornes

Gene O’Neal

Post by David Zornes »

Ake Banksell wrote:I bought that 1975 album forty years ago and was immediately struck by Genes playing in A maidens prayer. Anyone knows who are the others to play in there? Everybody but the players in that production are mentioned on the sleeve. :lol:

The tone that Gene got on The Maiden’s Prayer is about one of the best I’ve heard. And it doesn’t sound like Gene is using any effect at all.
Ake Banksell

Re: Gene O’Neal

Post by Ake Banksell »

David Zornes wrote:
Ake Banksell wrote:I bought that 1975 album forty years ago and was immediately struck by Genes playing in A maidens prayer. Anyone knows who are the others to play in there? Everybody but the players in that production are mentioned on the sleeve. :lol:

The tone that Gene got on The Maiden’s Prayer is about one of the best I’ve heard. And it doesn’t sound like Gene is using any effect at all.
Indeed that tone is high-class David, but as we’ve all learned by now, the tone is in your hands. 😆
I believe the tone from your hands originally come from your psyche which naturally can’t be changed deliberately but as you mature your tone does too.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Wow, that's some great music and Gene was killing it. I wasn't aware of this album back then. Thanks for posting. I seen Gene at the ISGC convention in St Louis probably in the 90s. Outstanding player. Funky Monkey is still one of my favorites.