Advice needed: looking to buy my first 10-string guitar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Christopher Daves

Advice needed: looking to buy my first 10-string guitar

Post by Christopher Daves »

Howdy folks,

First post. I've enjoyed reading your forum and am hoping you good people can point me in the right direction on my next steel guitar.

Right now I have a Fender 400 with 9 pedals and 1 knee lever, which is presently tuned to B6. This is my first and only pedal steel and I’ve had it for a few years now. I love this guitar despite its limitations and have had a lot of fun with it. That said, lately I’ve been wanting to branch out with a more ‘modern’ guitar. And by modern I guess I don't mean truly modern; just something that has 10 strings, no cables, and is suited for E9.

For what it's worth I'm not too interested in post-1970s music.

I was playing with the idea of an old Sho-Bud. I like their sound, and I guess I have a thing for older guitars. But after reading about the hit-or-miss quality and tuning issues I am now reevaluating this (the Fender 400 has given me enough tuning issues!).

I know Carter and Stage One guitars are often recommended as great guitars for beginners. While I wouldn’t consider myself an advanced player, I’m not a complete novice either. My concern is making an investment in a ‘starter’ instrument that I would later outgrow. As this will be my second steel guitar purchase, I want to get something that has the potential for permanence.

Any suggestions on where and how to start my search?

Many thanks.
Mike Ritchie

Post by Mike Ritchie »

Hello Christopher,
Check out http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/. I think you will be surprised at the quality and prices.
There are quite a few of us who own and love Justice guitars, they are at least worth a look.
Good luck in your search!
Mike
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I second the recommendation for Justice guitars. Even their least expensive model, the S-10 Jr, is well designed and very well made.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Another vote here for Justice. You might also contact Jimmie Hudson. A new guitar will let you focus on learning instead of fixing, adjusting, etc... If you want a guitar with time travel vibe down the road, you can always sell/trade. There's alot of good people on here that can help you make your steel guitar dreams come true.

We have a good example right here. I started on an old Fender, but bought my treasured Marlen from K Maul here. Keeping the Fender in working order was enough training to allow me to set up the Marlen to my liking. But it was a close call between vibey Marlen and shiny, new and modern Justice.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Jeff Neal

Post by Jeff Neal »

Mullen Discovery new for 2295. Or try to find a good used single neck Mullen Royal Precision, Only steel you will ever need.
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Jackson Maverick HD
I really like mine.
It is a pull release mechanism.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

I wouldn't throw out the idea of a Sho~Bud too quickly. There are lots of players still using them with no issues at all. Some models are better mechanically than others and they went through a slightly dodgy phase with pot metal parts that, apparently can be prone to cracking but if you do your research and get someone who understands them to set it up and show you how to keep it lubricated in the right places etc. (surely there's someone in Texas!!!) there's no reason a Sho~Bud can't hold its own against any modern guitar - especially for playing the music of the era it was designed for. A vintage instrument might need a little more care, love and attention than a modern one but, as a vintage guitar fan, I think it's worth the effort.

I've got an all pull model and even I, with very little mechanical expertise, managed to sort out a couple of problems I had when I first got it.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

I'd suggest reaching out to an experienced player in your area for advice- I've had some incredible and affordable used guitars, and some junk described by the seller as gold, occasionally from this site. My vote is a Zum Encore- great, proven guitars, about a third cheaper than anything else in it's class, with the best re-sale value of any guitar in production.
James Polk

Post by James Polk »

Brand new player here, I just picked up an old sho-bud d10 for $2000. It was in rough shape so I completely disassembled and cleaned it. Once I got it operational and figured out how the rack and barrel system worked I haven't had any problems out of it. Definitely don't rule out the sho-bud! Especially for the price of an old one that just needs a little love.
Bruce Bjork

Post by Bruce Bjork »

Can’t go wrong with a Justice.
Banjo, Dobro, Guild D-40, Telecaster, Justice Pro Lite 3x5, BOSS Katana 100, Peavey Nashville 112 in a Tommy Huff cabinet, Spark, FreeLoader, Baby Bloomer, Peterson StroboPlus HD, Stage One VP.
"Use the talents you possess; the woods would be very silent indeed if no birds sang but the best"
Christopher Daves

Post by Christopher Daves »

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions and insights! You've given me plenty to consider.
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

A pre 75’ Sho Bud would probably suit you just fine, and can often be had for not much more than a new “starter” guitar. Sho Buds prior to 75 and after the 1967 Fingertip model are very well built and reliable, and have a ton of tone mojo. There’s are a couple of undercarriage systems in play during these years, but any of them would easily best a lot of new guitars that cost a lot more in the tone department, and contrary to popular opinion, play just as well if not better. A little maintenance and a good setup and you’ll have a steel good for another 40 years.