MSA Replacement Pick-Ups

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Hamilton

MSA Replacement Pick-Ups

Post by Mark Hamilton »

I haven't been on here for several years, with regrets. Can someone give me advise on purchasing new pick ups for an old MSA D 10 steel.

I would appreciate the help, thank you very much.

Mark
David Spires

Post by David Spires »

I put George L E-66s in my Dad's 1977 D-10 Classic, at the advice of Jack Hearn, and they were a great improvement for me.

I liked them so much that I switched my Sierra S-10 to one, and also had them in my 2000 Carter. I did opt for 705 pickups in my new MSA Legend, but it's hard for me to say how that pickup would sound in the Classic.

I think the old MSAs are great guitars, and the old pickups were one of the weak points. Probably any "modern" pickup will be a success for you.

Sincerely,

David Spires
2021 MSA Legend XL 10&7; Asher Electro-Hawaiian Junior Lap Steel; '79 OMI Dobro 66 w/ Scheerhorn cone and setup; '64 Hand-wired Re-issue Fender Princeton Reverb
Mark Hamilton

Post by Mark Hamilton »

Thank You David,

I use to see you pick at the Knoxville Jams and you sure can play and sing... I miss the jams... You playing and singing Look At Us was "Great"...

Are you still playing?

Mark
David Spires

Post by David Spires »

Thank you Mark! I left the road last year during covid, and our son starting Kindergarten. Best decision for our family life. I play all the time - loving my NEW MSA, more recording work from my studio than I can handle.

I'm starting to figure out how I am going to play live and scratch that itch. Who knows what the future brings, but I couldn't be happier than to be with my family every day.

Sincerely,

David Spires
2021 MSA Legend XL 10&7; Asher Electro-Hawaiian Junior Lap Steel; '79 OMI Dobro 66 w/ Scheerhorn cone and setup; '64 Hand-wired Re-issue Fender Princeton Reverb
Mike Holder

Msa

Post by Mike Holder »

I played a 73 MSA D-10 Classic for 15 years and loved it! After 8 years I added some extra knee levers and switched the pickups to Bill Lawrence 705’s and they were terrific! I recently heard a local Nashville player on a similar vintage MSA playing through a Fender Twin with JBL’s and he mentioned he had Emmons pickups in his guitar and it sounded great! I would think you can put whatever you want in one if it’ll fit and not be disappointed.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Mark Hamilton

Post by Mark Hamilton »

Dave,

Family is important and is a Godly deed. I am glad you are still playing too. I heard the new MSA's are a great guitar. I played a GFI D 10 for a number of years, sold everything I had with the exception of two Tele's and a small Fender amp, started missing the steel, so here we go again!!

How is your Dad doing? Always liked his guitar picking too.

God Bless, Mark