Pedal Steel Lessons in the New York Area

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Woodall

Pedal Steel Lessons in the New York Area

Post by James Woodall »

Hello all! I am fairly new to the Pedal Steel and was wondering if anybody knew of any Pedal Steel instructors in the New York area?

Best,
James
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Not strictly New York, but John Widgren is in CT and is an amazing resource for all things PSG-related. I believe he teaches but I'm not certain. He's certainly a great player.

You can find him here on the Forum.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

John Widgren can make your steel operate properly for sure. Any mechanical issues John is the guy you need to see! 203-762-8951 I'm sure there are some steel playing tips he would share. He's a good guy!
ajm

Post by ajm »

James: New York City?
Or New York state?
James Woodall

Post by James Woodall »

Thank you for the replies so far!
I'm on Long Island, so New York City area or Long Island!
Thanks.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Find Skip Krevens. He's on the Island. I don't remember what town. Crackerjack player and last I knew, a few years ago, he was teaching. You can turn him up with a FB search.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Hey James, Their is a young man out on the East end of Long Island that is a great picker. He took lesson from John Widgren. Timothy Kelly is his name. Contact him here on the forum with a PM. He may not call himself a teacher but he could show you some tips. Tim brought a Black SD-10 Rains from me some time back. Sent me a clip or two of his playing and it knocked my socks off. And he had just started. Good Luck, J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
James Woodall

Post by James Woodall »

Thank you all for the great recommendations! I will save this list and reach out to people after I recover from this dang COVID virus.

Best,
James