New Build

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Groner

New Build

Post by Bill Groner »

Today I completed my 10th lap steel. There are two steels from the 30's I am very fond of. One is the Audiovox the other the National New Yorker. Since I don't think I will ever own either one, I decided to combine the 2. Love the New Yorker head and the Audiovox body. So I thought I'd call it an Audio-nat.
Image Hopefully I will have time to take some pictures tomorrow of the finished project. (2 months) I still have to wire it.

I always admired Mike Holland's Satin Black Epiphone Electar Century. I found some acrylic that was satin and best of all it shows NO finger prints. The steel is 3/4" thick. Top and bottom are 1/8" acrylic and the core is 1/2" aluminum. There are 3 places it is a bit thicker, but that was to accomadate the end of the cable and to get the steel high enough to play it laying down without the tuner buttons hitting the surface it is sitting on. It plays very nice acoustically on my desk top, but I think it will sound much better when I get that Lollar String through wired up.

Here is a picture of how I started......Stay tuned.
Last edited by Bill Groner on 26 Mar 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

I am Tuned!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Love the Audiovox body and idea of that Lollar pickup.

That pickup really growls when pushed.

Tom Pettingill and I had bantered about basing a steel off the Audiovox body.

Looking forward to the finished product.

What scale length is it and what tuning will you be using?
Four Pettingills and a Clinesmith Aluminum. Fender Blues Junior. Quilter Mini-101.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

C6, 22.5"
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Image Here is the Audionat after 2 months of work. I put it together to make sure all was working properly. It is, so in a couple of days it will be disassembled, and things like the nut, the profile will be polished and fine tuned. I thought since the head was a New Yorker, and this year will be the 20th Anniversary of one of the worst days in the History of America I would add a little something on the back of the headstock. I do have a National decal to put on the front of the head, but that will be the last thing to go on. I may wire it up later tonight? As you can see, it is pretty thin......but that aluminum core has a real nice sound. Hope y'all like it.
Last edited by Bill Groner on 27 Mar 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Gross

Post by Eric Gross »

Looks great bill -- I would love to stop by sometime to give it a whirl!
Kevin Glandon

Post by Kevin Glandon »

Vey cool Mr. Bill. Well done.
Ralph Czitrom

Post by Ralph Czitrom »

Beautiful work, Bill!
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

That's a sharp looking steel Bill. Well done!
Cliff
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Now we’re talking’! Thanks for posting the finished pictures. It looks great! Nice work.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

Looks just fantastic........a real piece of art also!
Carl Gallagher

Post by Carl Gallagher »

Thats beautiful.I'm especially fond of the WTC memorial.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Image Here is the backside with the cover off. I think I might try to lighten it up a little more. I have a few spots I can lose some weight. (me and the steel) That slot running down the neck was machined for building purposes. It originally was 5/8" wide. The mill I use has slots in the table 5/8" so I made a "key" that fit both the mill and the guitar. Once the profile was cut, I had no straight edges to use as a reference. This steel was the most challenging one I have built. I'm sure if I hae a CNC it would have been much easier, but not to be.
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Fantastic Bill I love fretboard and the headstock!!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio
David Becker

Post by David Becker »

You're really elevating your game, Bill. That is one fabulous looking lap steel! The art of it is truly worthy of the New Yorker influence. Bravo!
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

that is really great!! post an audio clip and lets hear it.

may i ask why you milled out all that aluminum from the neck? that adds so much strength and sustain. even if it was a little neck heavy, that is no problem with a lap guitar.

also the severe angle of the outer strings at the nut. i would just wrap those strings the other way and lessen that angle.

a wonderful looking instrument. you are to be commended!
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

Fantastic job on a very beautiful design, Bill!
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Bill Hatcher wrote:that is really great!! post an audio clip and lets hear it.

may i ask why you milled out all that aluminum from the neck? that adds so much strength and sustain. even if it was a little neck heavy, that is no problem with a lap guitar.

also the severe angle of the outer strings at the nut. i would just wrap those strings the other way and lessen that angle.

a wonderful looking instrument. you are to be commended!
OK.....I like Tom Pettengill am a builder, not a player. I can muddle through some songs, but I cannot do any of my lap steels justice. I have had only one guy Eric Gross who lives very close to me play my steels as they should be played. Thanks Eric, you are welcome anytime to come over.

Bill, have you ever built a lap steel from a solid piece of aluminum? Before anything was ever milled from the piece it rang like a bell. As I stated the 5/8" slot was used in constrution. When I used an edge finder to find the center of the key, I automatically had the center of the steel and all was parallel with the ways and table of the mill. Aluminum is not wood. (P 51 Mustang vs Jap. Zero) LOL Aluminum has a lot of sustain. I might take some more material out of the body in some places, but the neck won't get any more removed. The neck I might add has a generous radius so there is still plenty of meat in it. You won't be bending the 1/2" aluminum with a .036 Low E string.

Like I said this was just a mock up to make sure everything was good. I think you are right about the angle of the outer strings, and it is exactly why I posted pictures to get everyone's feedback and suggestions to make it better while it is still at this point.

BTW, if anyone was wondering......(Joe E?) The fretboard I made from 1/8" Matt white acrylic. I milled slots .046 wide and used a Sharpie to highlight the slots. The 12th.....are you ready???? It's a tube from a can of CRC- 36 you stick in the nozzle to spray in tight spots. It pressed in the slot real nice. Yeah, I'm cheap for some stuff! LOL

Bill, I'm glad you said commended and not condemed. I thank you for your positive input and want you to know I dig the stuff you make.

Now, Steve, Eric (my Test Pilot), Kevin, Ralph, Cliff, Allan, Mike, Carl, Joe E., David, Bill, and Joe C. thank you all for your positive comments.

I don't know if I have another one in me.....this one took a lot out of me! (in a good way!)
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Bill here is another one I built 3 years ago. Eric has played this one and knows much more about playing than I do. Maybe if you have questions, he can answer them for you.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Bill - you’ve done it again! Merging these designs worked out perfectly - the New Yorker and Audiovox features look like they belong together. Beautiful work, as always.
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Bill, just wonderful work with your steel. Very aesthetically pleasing. Tom P. would have loved it.

Congrats on a job well done.
Four Pettingills and a Clinesmith Aluminum. Fender Blues Junior. Quilter Mini-101.