Vince Gill leaving the Time Jumpers

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Craig Stock

Vince Gill leaving the Time Jumpers

Post by Craig Stock »

Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Yeah, I saw that news on their FB feed. To be honest, I'm not sure it's a big loss musically. Vince is a great musician, but the TJ's had their own style and vibe that is different from Vince's. I'm sure it helped the band gain fans, but I will always miss Dawn Sear's contribution to the band far more than Vince's.

Wendy Moten is listed in the article as a member of the band. Her joining was announced just over a year ago, and I am looking forward to her having a bigger role in the future - love her voice!

A Time Jumper fan, but too far away to see them live.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

Wonder why? Maybe he is just tired of fighting the nashville traffic or maybe he is too worried about coronavirus with them starting up again, I would. Would be interesting to know!
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Great read, the most wonderful set of musicians and human being's on the planet. I hope this band never dis-bands and will continue for many more decades, sure artist's come and go, life commitments, work, other avenue's etc it's all part of it, sure going to miss Vince's velvet voice and those smoking guitar chops, Vince is killer at everything he does... it's on my bucket list to take a trip down to TN to see these awsome players when they get going again.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Over their tenure, The Time Jumpers have seen many other members come and go, and have lost numerous members to death, including Dawn Sears, fiddle player Hoot Hester, and drummer Rick Vanaugh.
ummmm..... John Hughey
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Vince is a great player and singer and will be missed for sure. But the band has to evolve as they have in the past. It adds color and variety to their respective performances. It keeps things fresh. And Vince will find new areas to explore with his many talents. He has an awesome studio at his home. Perhaps that's his focus for now.
Larry Ball

Post by Larry Ball »

Last week Stuie French filled in for Andy Reiss who was sick. Stuie is an unbelievable guitar player who moved his very talented family from Australia last year. He mentioned on his Facebook page that Vince Gill apparently had to step down because of his commitments with the Eagles.
Mullen SD10, Sho~Bud SD10 LDG, Show-Pro SD10 LDG, Peavey Nashville 112, Telonic's F100 Multi-Taper Super Pro V/P, too many other guitars, amps and effects to mention.
Mike Holder

Vince leaving

Post by Mike Holder »

Does this imply Paul & Billy aren’t far behind?
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

While I am a big Vince fan as well as a Time Jumpers fan, I think its a mistake to make too much of this. Vince is a seasoned pro with his OWN career. While he can indeed be a sideman, he is a premier front man . The Time Jumpers have had multiple personnel changes, all for the good , they are a complete unit, not driven by any single person. Vince is a busy guy, at some point, as we get a tad older, we gotta find some time to be less busy ! I've been very fortunate to have visited the Time Jumpers shows multiple times over the last many many years at the Station Inn, the first time was when John H was with the group as well as Carolyn Martin singing alongside Dawn Sears. The evolution was incredible. Wishing Vince good luck but he probably doesn't need it as he soars around with the Eagles.

A nice memory here, when we first went to see the TJ's at the Station Inn way back, John Hughey saw me and came over and said " Hey Tom how are you " ! I didn't correct him I just said Hey John great to see you ! He remembered my from St Louis. I told my wife, from here on out just call me Tom ! :lol:
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Mike Holder

Time Jumpers

Post by Mike Holder »

Yes I agree, while it would be a change it’s always been a good one.. similar to the years of Asleep at the Wheel. The possibilities are diminishing though in terms of substitution musicians.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Joey Ace wrote:
Over their tenure, The Time Jumpers have seen many other members come and go, and have lost numerous members to death, including Dawn Sears, fiddle player Hoot Hester, and drummer Rick Vanaugh.
ummmm..... John Hughey
And let’s not forget the steel seat was originally occupied by the incomparable Johnny Cox!
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Nic Sanford

Post by Nic Sanford »

Oh dang, Craig Stock. Thanks for keeping people up on the news.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Nic, I'm surprised he stayed that long, he is one busy man.

I was lucky to see both Vince and Paul with Jumpers at City Winery in NYC a few years back, what a treat.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I should have added, one of the last times we were able to see the TJ's at the Station Inn when Vince was there , some folks sitting next to us commented that they didn't let Vince do enough songs. My wife commented , nicely, that this is NOT a Vince show , he's part of the band. They still replied back that if Vince is playing you need to let him run the show. Then I commented, nicely, "If you came to see Vince and expected to hear him play his songs all night , you came to the wrong place".

This is a danger when you add a Main Stream Artist to the lineup , even if its only temporary.

As much as I am a big fan of Vince, I would pay big bucks to see his show but I don't want to pay big bucks to hear Vince sing Eagles songs with the Eagles ! IF that makes any sense.

By the way we did pay big bucks to see the Eagles a few months before Glen passed.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

I have seen the TJer's without Vince, when Dawn was alive and saw them with Vince, both trememdous shows. I am sure Vince is pretty busy with his own shows and he is also working with the Eagles...only so many projects one guy can keep up with.