iMac recording from cassette

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

iMac recording from cassette

Post by b0b »

I want to record from a cassette deck to my iMac, but the copmuter doesn't have an audio input. The deck has RCA jack outputs. I use Audacity on the iMac. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, simple USB solution?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

I use a USB mixer for that and lots of other stuff! I think they start way under 100 bucks for a couple of Inputs. I have 4 channels, 1/4 and xlr, along with rca.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

If you don't already have recording interface, a PreSonus Audiobox is a excellent choice for simple and cheap. They're USB powered so no power supply needed, decent quality (and quiet) preamps, $100. Behringer makes some cheaper units in the $60-$80 range.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
b0b

Post by b0b »

Hmmm... How about this Bluetooth thingie?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... m-trs-jack
b0b

Post by b0b »

Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Bluetooth might be a little sketchy in terms of sound quality, I don't know. It has a USB port but looks like it is for charging only.

The Behringer dealio is basically a cheaper version of the PreSonus type unit without the input level and blend controls. I don't know about its sound quality or noise but it's probably fine for what you need it to do.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-Converter ... 050&sr=8-6

Duttek RCA to USB Cable, USB to RCA Cable,USB 2.0 Male to 2 RCA Male Video AV A/V Converter Camcorder Audio Capture Card Splitter Adapter Cable for TV/Mac/PC (5 Ft/1.5m) $8.99 and free shipping! :D
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
b0b

Post by b0b »

I don't think that would work, Jim. I might be wrong, but I think I need an A to D converter for the computer to understand the signal.

I ordered this one. I guess it's last year's model because most places are out of stock and it's cheaper. Looks like it will do the trick. Thanks, everyone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI
gary pierce

Post by gary pierce »

If your mac has a TRS head phone jack, you might can record through it.
Steven Schwartz

Post by Steven Schwartz »

I had cassette's that I had to transfer to my iMac. I use this cheap 20.00 thingy that will plug into the headphone jack or rca plugs of a cassette player. The output is usb, works in GarageBand. Should work anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019T ... UTF8&psc=1
b0b

Post by b0b »

b0b wrote:I ordered this one. I guess it's last year's model because most places are out of stock and it's cheaper. Looks like it will do the trick. Thanks, everyone.

It arrived today and it works. Here's a recording from a cassette by Herby Wallace, "Recordings From The Past". I recorded direct from the cassette deck output with Audacity, did Noise Reduction and Normalize and exported as MP3.

https://soundhost.net/herby/panhandle.mp3

Sounds pretty darn good, no? :mrgreen:
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

This is an afterthought, but Behringer gets hit for their reverse engineered equipment and quality. I have an MOTU4pre recording interface unit that has high quality preamps and extremely low latency. I needed more that 4 analog inputs for a recording session about a year ago. I was able to borrow a Behringer U-phoria UMC1820 8 channel interface unit for the recording session. I could not hear any difference between the audio recorded with the MOTU or Behringer. Plus the Behringer had the same very low latency as the MOTU.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
ajm

Post by ajm »

Gary Pierce wrote: "If your mac has a TRS head phone jack, you might can record through it."

Have you actually done this?
Please explain.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Here's another recorded from the cassette deck through the Behringer UCA202 into Audacity on an iMac. I too had my doubts about Behringer, but this unit works very well. It doesn't appear to be "reverse engineered" from anything else on the market that I could find.

https://soundhost.net/2021/03/things-aint-right/

My cassette deck:

The interface (stock photo):
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

b0b wrote:I don't think that would work, Jim. I might be wrong, but I think I need an A to D converter for the computer to understand the signal.

I ordered this one. I guess it's last year's model because most places are out of stock and it's cheaper. Looks like it will do the trick. Thanks, everyone.

bOb, The A/D convertor is built into the cable. I have two of these.

One is a 1/4" TS (guitar) plug on one end and a USB connector on the other. The 44.1Khz/16 bit signal is seen as a mono USB input by the computer.

The second has two RCA plugs (left is white, right is red) on one end and a USB connector on the other. The 44.1Khz/16 bit signal is seen as a stereo USB input by the computer.

Windows 10 is plug & play as my computer automatically recognized both and installs a universal USB driver when either is first plugged in for the first time into a previously unused USB port.
Last edited by Jim Fogle on 18 Mar 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
b0b

Post by b0b »

Very cool, Jim.
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

I've read good reviews on the Behringer interface. I looked at it too. I enjoy having imulti purpose tools when they are not too expensive. Like many, the budget is paramount.
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK