Adding back (C6) neck to a ZB S-10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duncan Hodge

Adding back (C6) neck to a ZB S-10

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hello all. I hope you all are safe.
I was just wondering if there is a way to re add a C6 neck back on a ZB SD 10.
I have the most beautiful ZB SD 10 restored by Billy Knowles. I also have a Fulawka S 12, but I only need one, and I choose the ZB.
In any event, if anyone knows who may be able to add a C6 neck, it would be appreciated
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

I could help you as far as the work is concerned, the parts would have to be located though.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Thanks Kelcey,
I floated this idea many years ago and received much the same response. There appears to be a lack of parts to reconstruct it.
I would like to have one D-10, instead of two single necks, but I hate to sell the ZB. It has the prettiest birdseye maple and red sunburst finish... it also has “that” tone.
Have a beautiful evening
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

I received a response to post a while back about some ZB parts, I believe it represented a complete back neck, I can check on that.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Thanks Kelcey. Your generous offer is greatly appreciated.
I just took another good look under the ZB and realized just how much of the E9 knee levers are right where the C6 mechanics would be. This is starting to look like an extremely complicated operation that is doable, but may kill the patient in the process. I may need to think on this a little bit more.
Thanks again for your offer of assistance.
Duncan