Using Impulse responses

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Stanton

Using Impulse responses

Post by Jack Stanton »

I just purchased Eminence's PF-400 & TT-15 IR's and when I went to load them I see there's not only several mic choices but also several "Leveled" choices 48-96-and 441. Can anyone tell me what "Leveled" means, which one I would want to use, and why?
Thanks!
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

I'm not familiar with the term "leveled" in this context, but those numbers are sample rates. A higher number is higher resolution, meaning more audio samples over a given period of time. Which one you select depends on what hardware or software you're using it with. Some devices can use multiple sample rates, some not. I have an Iridium and it can only use 96kHz samples, a Helix can only use 48kHz, I believe Kempers only use 44.1kHz, etc. The documentation for your device or software should tell you which you need.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

So I need to find out the sample rate ofmy audio interface, is that correct?
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Yes, if you'll be using the IRs with a DAW or a software cab loader or amp sim like Amplitube or BIAS, you will want match the bitrate of the project and/or interface.

With speaker IRs the actual samples are really short so as a practical matter, the differences you'll hear between bitrates may not be very noticeable, but to match the conditions the sample was created under the sample bitrates should always match.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Thanks, Ian!