Laminate Glue-ing Advice

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Hutzler

Laminate Glue-ing Advice

Post by Paul Hutzler »

The laminate on my Carter S10 is peeling off the aluminum frame. Can someone advise me on what the best way to fix this is? I think I need advise on a product to remove the old glue and then advise on a good glue product to attach laminate to aluminum. Thank you.

Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Ours did the same thing. I just pulled it off and re-applied DAP contact cement. I didn't bother to clean it off as it's likely contact cement already there and the new application will re-activate it.

It's been about 3 years and it's holding up just fine.

It looks loose already but just be careful to not break it when you remove it. Use heat and a putty knife if it's stuck really tight.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 28 Feb 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Okay DAP glue. If I don't need to clean the old glue off, then maybe I'll just apply the new glue to the six inch length of laminate that's peeling off, instead of removing the whole thing.
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

As you wish, but if it's coming loose at one end, it may be starting somewhere else. I would pull it off and lay it out on a smooth hard surface. That will make it easier to apply adhesive evenly plus contact cement has to be applied to both surfaces. If you decide to pull it off, refer to my caution in my edit above.

Whatever you decide though, might be just fine patching one end. Good luck.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

....either way, clamp the area that’s been re-glued overnight.
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Good advice all around. Thanks folks.
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

My Carter did the exact same thing after about a year. In my case I decided to remove the whole length, it did came off rather easily with a heat gun & putty knife as Jerry said. At that point I did remove the adhesive from both surfaces. Then applied contact cement to both surfaces let it dry to a touch, then mated both together. You need to have it exactly positioned where it is to go, then if you have use a firm roller or clamp it. Was not a hard job, Good luck!
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

I had the same thing happen to mine. Heat and a putty knife took it off. Goof-Off took the old adhesive off. Contact cement on both parts until it’s dry to the touch. I put it back on and didn’t even clamp it. Just made sure it was all pressed down well. Been there for five years.
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.