1971 Marlen Speedy West D10 restoration by Walker and Davis

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick McDuffie

1971 Marlen Speedy West D10 restoration by Walker and Davis

Post by Rick McDuffie »

I was reminiscing with Ricky Davis about some of the Marlen guitars that he repaired, rebuilt or overhauled for me, and this one from 2004 came to mind. I checked my photo archives, and sure enough I still had the photos. Y'all feast your eyes!

My local buddy Ray Walker (RIP) refinished the cabinet, and Ricky redid the mechanics. It played like a dream, and sounded amazing. I wonder who has it now? I'd love to see current photos.

Here's the original post, without pictures: https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/007073.html
Tim Johnson

Marlen

Post by Tim Johnson »

Any pics of undercarriage? Beautiful Marlen
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Glug, glug, glug...!
Mike Ritchie

Post by Mike Ritchie »

Absolutely gorgeous Rick! That's an eleven out of ten 8)
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

OK Wow Rick; now I remember that "Speedy West" Marlen...and our very good friend Ray Walker doing that finish was beyond believe> "rest is soul; I miss Ray so much"
Guess what?? I found my file...on this one Rick; here's a couple underside pics of this VERY EARLY pull release system. Did I ever tell you the year??
Ok here ya go guys....this is how pedal steel is played in the simplest and best sounding form....It doesn't have to be complicated. BTW; put the newest more complicated user friendly pedal steel next to this one and the sound of this Marlen along; would BLOW THAT NEW ONE WAAAAAAY AWAY...BAM!!
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Rick McDuffie

Post by Rick McDuffie »

Ricky, it was a 1971 model. The birdseye in those necks is about the prettiest I've ever seen. That is a clean, uncluttered undercarriage. Beautiful job all around. I'll see if I can figure out who bought this guitar from me- I'd love to know where it is.
Tim Johnson

Marlen

Post by Tim Johnson »

What is the material under the pedal stops? Wood or brass or what? Same under the knee lever stops?
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Tim; I'm a stickler for worn parts; especially wood; as you'll tune on it forever, as the holes get deeper and deeper....so I designed and mounted metal plates that don't even Dent or even get marked(have ya heard of titanium?? ah...ha.)I actually quit playing(early 2000's) to pursue my PGA teaching; so in handful of years I was going to join the Senior Tour at 50. This was when Golf club designers started using Titanium club heads and it was the big thing...so being the golf nerd and Steel guitar nerd combined; guess what metal I starting hitting golf balls with and building steel guitars with??ha...yep...hardest metal I've ever used. (and I got a discount for being a PGA professional)

Way Cool Rick; that is Probably close to the last "Speedy West" endorsement Marlen...as that endorsement only lasted '68-'69-'70 and I think ended in '71....WOW.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Tim Johnson

Marlen

Post by Tim Johnson »

Cool idea
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Beautiful! With titanium stop plates this guitar will play solid and in-tune well into the next century...I love the pull-release system. Maybe too many limitations for some, but what an elegant and satisfying way to transfer force.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

I always thought a flaw in the Marlen design was the cross shaft stops mounted toward the center of the guitar. The stop bends the cross shaft making the guitar play mushy and sounds like cabinet drop. I always moved the teeter-totter stop as close as possible to one of the sides.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Steven Hudson

Post by Steven Hudson »

That's one purty guitar.
2001 Marlen S-10, 2020 Zumsteel Encore, Melbert 6 string Roundabout, Evans E250 VH Amp
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Very good restoration I bet she sounds incredible.