More Pedal Steel Licks on Lap Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thanks Nelson!

I’m ok with the 3 note slants where the bullet tip hits two strings in the same fret but I’m not up to speed on the other one you mentioned.

I’ve seen videos of Kayton Roberts pulling strings behind the bar and remember hearing his records and wondering how he got that sound. I’ve found 3 or four half step pulls that work good on the plain strings. Now if I could incorporate and improve on both approaches I could lighten the load! Also even though I’m mainly an E9 pedal steel guy, I’ve always preferred the tone and timbre of non pedal guitars.

Back to the woodshed!
Dz
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Nelson Checkoway

Post by Nelson Checkoway »

Dave - check out the following from Doug Beaumier that he linked in another recent post:

http://playsteelguitar.com/country-stri ... el-guitar/

Doug showcases some great string pull technique using those top strings. I have played mostly pedal steel in the past and have used a half-tone pull on the 1st string to add a high dom7 with the AB pedals down. Haven’t used string pulls much else for PSG or lap ....but never too late to start. I think I will now!!!
Nelson Checkoway

Post by Nelson Checkoway »

Bill Leff wrote:Please share your secrets!
Hi Bill - not sure I have any secrets. I can say that on the track I posted, most of the single note work centered around the middle strings in my standard high G C6 8-string tuning—the middle G and A—and I took advantage of that whole-step difference—pick pick slide, pick slide pick—to get those scale runs with pedal effects, mostly between the 7th and 12th frets. And I used a combination of pick and palm blocking.

Let me know if there is anything in particular you were curious about on the track. Thanks for listening!
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Wow! I like it. Great job Doug. That just gave me a ton of ideas for an 8 string tuning.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Well that's just "Cool Like Lemon Pie Nelson!" I love it! Keep that going!
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Cool Doug! Love this stuff you guys are playing. Makes me wanta get back into Lap Steel Guitar!