Milt Mounce

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Chuck Campbell

Milt Mounce

Post by Chuck Campbell »

It is with sadness that I announce the passing of a special friend who was a lover and supporter of Steel Guitar, Milt Mounce. Milt passed away as a result of complications from Covid. You could find him sitting behind the Russ Hicks table at just about all steel shows where Russ and Laney were performing. Russ would always call Milt up to sing a couple on his set. He was from Kentucky.
Red Zum, Telonics Amp, and a Lexicon MK200 Effects.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I'm very sorry to hear of Milt's passing. I remember him well from the shows. RIP, Milt.
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

The weekend I graduated from high school I went straight to Chicago to work a bar on the north side,'The Texas Ranch'. Milt was tending bar there, we became fast friends; that's how far back we go. I was there for three years, Milt for a little longer 'til he bought himself a rig and drove for 35 years 'til he retired. We cut two CDs on him and he loved to come to the steel shows and sing those country/bluegrass songs.
I'll miss him more than words can tell and he'll always have a place in my memory and my heart.

RH
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Milt was definitely one of the good guy's. We always enjoyed his company and singing. R.I.P. Mr. Country Gentleman!
Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

I'll miss you ole buddy.

Post by Danny Hammers »

I can't believe he's gone. You said it best Russ "I'll miss him more than words can tell and he'll always have a place in my memory and my heart." That's it, I wouldn't know what else to say, he was one of my very best friends. I'll miss you ole buddy.

I love this song "It's Not Goodby It's I'll See You Later"
Last edited by Danny Hammers on 14 Feb 2021 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Remembering Milt and his wonderful voice at the steel shows. RIP Milt.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

I sure enjoyed meeting and visiting with Milt at all the shows around the country.
Just a super nice man.
Russ, I had no idea you and Milt went back that far,
in fact, I too used to play on the north side of Chicago, up on Armitage Av.
R.I.P. Milt.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Sad to hear of his passing.
He was very nice & I enjoyed sitting
& talking with him at the Dallas show.
Always dressed very sharp !!
Sorry for the loss of your dear friend Russ.
RIP Sir.
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I met Milt at the Saluda, SC Southern Steel Guitar Convention in '06, and he was a great friend. RIP Milt, we'll miss you, buddy
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

I met and visited with Milt a few short years ago at the Dallas Show. A very nice Gentleman and a great vocalist. I enjoyed his singing so much I brought a couple of his CD's. R.I.P. Milt. God Bless You, J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Richard Ingley

Post by Richard Ingley »

He was always very friendly and kept a smile on his face.
Michael Greer

Post by Michael Greer »

This is very sad news.

We were fortunate to meet Milt several years ago.
We looked forward to seeing him each year in St Louis and Dallas.

He was a kind and gentle man......always one of the "best dressed" men at the show in his tradition country suit and cowboy hat.

I enjoyed his singing , especially his version of "The Keys in the Mailbox"

Rest in peace Milt
Bob Strickland

Post by Bob Strickland »

I'm so sorry to hear about Milt. He would drive 500 miles to the Saluda show four times a year, and anywhere else there was a show. He always had a smile and was always the best dressed man at the show!

https://www.stithfuneralhome.com/obitua ... ituaryInfo
Tele -> cord -> amp
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

I didn’t know Milt well, but found him to be quite the gentleman! Always spoke highly of others, and could really rock those western suits!
Rest In Peace, kind Sir!
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

RIP.I remember Milt from being at the Saluda, SC show a few times. He will be missed. I miss the Saluda show also.

RC
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

We are very sad to learn of the passing of Milt. He was a true gentleman. I had the pleasure of backing him up at a steel guitar show in Lakeland, Florida. RIP Milt.
Bob and Debra 😢
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

I don't recall meeting with Milt but I do remember him singing with Russ Hicks at Scotty's. Here's a picture of him singing with Russ that I took in 2015. I believe that Russ used this same photo on Facebook to express his sadness at Milt's passing.

RIP Mr. Mounce, we are all saddened by your passing.
Brian Christiano

RIP Milt

Post by Brian Christiano »

A couple of months back I had a song come to me and couldn't get it out of my head. The song was an old Porter Wagoner tune, I Thought I Heard You Calling My Name. Finally after a couple of days of singing it while working around the house and driving, it hit me. That is one of the songs Milt Mounce always sang at the SC Steel Conventions in Saluda and Belvedere.

I always looked for his conversion van sitting in the parking lot at the steel shows because I always looked forward to talking to Milt. He was a true Southern gentleman. He will be missed.

Now every time I sing or hear that Porter Wagoner tune, Milt will come to mind and it will be in his memory. We have lost a good friend to the steel guitar and country music family.
Brian A. Christiano, MSME, P.E.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.