Steel signal too hot

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Terry Skaggs

Steel signal too hot

Post by Terry Skaggs »

Using a Mullen Discovery and recording with logic and the signal from kemper is way hot.....signal chain is Mullen ===>Kemper =====>Bose T1=====>IMAC via USB from T1. Sounds great playing through this setup to the Bose compact live but when going to the computer the signal is super hot....I have to turn the T1 almost off to have a usable signal with the other instruments. My pickup in the Mullen is a 705. Anyone try something similar???
Beard E-model, Martin D-28 CW, Mullen Discovery, Kemper Profiler,Bose L1 Compact
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I would look at the T1, first remove it from the chain, see what happens. As you know, All DAWS have the input levels controlled ahead of the DAW. You should be able to bring the DAW input level down to ZERO .

Isolate the devices in the chain, T1, then the Kemper etc.
You have to know which one is overloading the input signal before you can solve it.

Its not the Steel pickup.

We've all gone thru this a few hundred times before we developed a proper procedure w/gear. :D
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

There should be an output control on the T1. It might be called trim. There should also be a choice between line level and mic level inputs in the DAW interface.
Bob
David Hodan

Kemper

Post by David Hodan »

Check the kemper. I don't have a handy manual but you can probably set it's output for Line/Amp. Amp settings would be too hot for the DAW/computer.

Check the Main Out -12dB pad option in the output menu.
Some reduce it a lot more.