Jeff Newman Materials

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Carter

Jeff Newman Materials

Post by William Carter »

I just recently discovered Jeff Newman's work. I am very impressed with the few things I bought already. There seems to be an endless selection. I wasted a whole lot of money buying other stuff from Hal Leonard, etc. that never was really what I was interested in learning. Jeff Newman's stuff is all relevant to what I need, and none of it has been a waste so far.

I don't want to buy every book he had, so I am looking for suggestions from those of you who have used it before. Which books/dvd's from Jeff have been the most useful to you, and which can be skipped over. I have no way to know what the content of this stuff is or if some of his books overlap with others of his.

Basically I need a list of the "must have" items.

Post by Thomas Stone »

I can't make specific suggestions, but I can advise this: If you're not already on the https://www.jeffran.shop mailing list, sign up and watch their emails for sales. They are frequent and the discounts are substantial.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

And you might get most of what you order. Or not.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=349588
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

I've bought all his E9 stuff. I am on the email list so every time she runs a weekend sale, I would buy another lesson. I've never had an issue getting my orders delivered.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I re-ordered all his C6th Video courses from his niece, I believe.
It's been normal speed. I though I was missing something, but came out, they put two things on ONE disk.

Jeff's material may be "dated" and the recordings are VHS to DVD... but his teaching are right and always valid.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Barry Yasika

Jeff Newman

Post by Barry Yasika »

Try to find Jeff Newman's article on "Sound", it's called "Tone Be or Not Tone Be". It's a really great article about where your sound is actually created. The guy really is spot on there and he has an articulation all of his own which makes it a fun article to read.
Emmons
Thomas Stone

Post by Thomas Stone »

Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

William -

Keep you your eye on the "For Sale: Music Lessons, etc." section of the Forum. A lot of Jeff's material frequently comes up for sale there from reliable re-sellers.
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

I missed the part of your post where you wanted some suggestions on his works. If you are already playing some, and especially if you know the common "grips" my suggestion would be "Up From The Top" the A/B pedals. There is a lot music to be made in that position alone and multiple harmony scales that work great for improvising. From there you can move on to the "D Lever" and the "F Lever" and expand on the first lesson. If you don't do the A/B pedals first, there will be reference in the next two that you might not understand what he his talking about. The Up From The Top series builds as you progress through it.

I also have all the rest of the E9 courses from Newman, but I enrolled in Paul Franklins course and have found a goldmine there for improvising techniques and understanding the fret board so I am kind of hung up in there trying to take all that in.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

William, are you looking for just instruction or for tab?

I have a little left in my storage, however it would be on cassette and VHS.
You know how to email me. Let me know and I will tell you what I have that you might could use.

PS: Thanks for your business in the past.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
clive swindell

Jef Newman material

Post by clive swindell »

Hi William

I bought just about all Jeff's tuition material over the years.

To me, the 'Up from the Top' series is essential.
The F lever course in particular is in my opinion a work of genius.

Also, if you can find his 'Woodshed Workshop' videos
(there were about 9 produced) then these are also invaluable.
gary pierce

Post by gary pierce »

I've got 15 woodshed's and he did about 50 of them, but are just tab, and audio.