The one that got away

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

The one that got away

Post by b0b »

20 years ago, I sold a pedal steel that I should have kept. Check it out:

https://steelguitarforum.com/b0b/swd10.html

Sold on the Forum.
https://steelguitarforum.com/Archives/A ... 06382.html

Did you ever sell a steel that you should have kept?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Two. Prettiest guitars I’ve seen. Both played beautifully and sounded fine.
Just couldn’t justify that much money tied up in an extra guitar.

Second was a sunburst lacquer Rittenberry SD-10. Don’t even have a picture of that one. Decided I needed a C6 neck
Was probably correct.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

I do however, have these two two to atone for my esthetic compromise.

Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Honestly, I wish I could have kept them all. Would not have been well received by she who must be obeyed.
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

A Sho ~Bud, The Professional D10 with 2 knee-levers. Should have had more levers added and kept it.

An Indigo Blue Derby D10. Should have found someone who would have been willing to attempt a repair of the cracked body caused by an abusive roadie.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Yup. 7 of them.

But, I would settle for the Kline and 2 ZB Customs I had.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 29 Jan 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Man...those are Beautiful guitars! I see why they stick in your memory. I had a ShoBud red Pro2 that I think of often.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

There have been a few that I wish I had kept but consider myself fortunate in one instance. Sold a rather early model Mullen S-10 a while back and almost immediately regretted my decision. It recently was listed for sale and I was lucky enough to respond first, (nice to have her home!)
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yeah b0b; I remember that awesome Speedy West Marlen too...as one I wish I STILL HAD also.
It was truly it's own entity in sound and musical dynamics that could be had from it.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Seller's Remorse big time. D10 Mullen. Absolutely best guitar ever I owned. Tone to die for. Fit like a glove. Almost played itself. I got another guitar for cheap and sold the Mullen to a local player for it's worth to help with finances. Biggest mistake ever. Been kicking myself ever since.

I've dropped several hints about buying it back, but he won't let it go.

I've owned several others since, fine quitars, but none of them measured up, so I just sold completely out.

It's like the song "If I Can't Have You, I Don't Want Nobody Else." It was that good.

I also owned a D10 Emmons cut tail 10+6 with rare basket weave covering back in the 80s, 90s that I sold for way too cheap when I took up U14s for a while. I should have kept it too, but I don't lament it's absence nearly as much as that special Mullen.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Been lucky that way-- the only one I sold was my first,a Fender/Sho-Bud 3+ 1. An OK guitar, but 1 KL is kinda limiting. The other 4 are right here at home.
Brandon Schafer

Post by Brandon Schafer »

My first guitar, which was a Sho-Bud Pro III: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

It wasn’t much to look at, but it sounded so good! Knowing what I know now, I would have tried to restore it, “just because”.
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Ken Pippus wrote:Two. Prettiest guitars I’ve seen. Both played beautifully and sounded fine.
Just couldn’t justify that much money tied up in an extra guitar.

Second was a sunburst lacquer Rittenberry SD-10. Don’t even have a picture of that one. Decided I needed a C6 neck
Was probably correct.
Holy smokes, Ken. That Mullen. Wood necks and all.
I'd miss it too. It's a beauty.
Colin Swinney

Post by Colin Swinney »

I sold a red lacquer MSA D-10 about seven years ago that I think about all the time. My wife and I had moved to San Diego to a 500 square foot apartment, though I swear it was even smaller than that! We had an ocean view but there was no room to set up the guitar anywhere. Maybe someday I’ll find one again.

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I've sold a bunch, but I've been pretty good about hanging onto the steels that I should have. I made one big mistake - but I was lucky and got it back. It cost me a couple grand extra, but it was worth it.

Now on guitars - that's a whole 'nother story. It's enough to make a grown man cry! Don't get me started! :!: :evil: :x
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

I've sold quite a few over the years, the first 3 were that old familiar story: "rock guitar player buys pedal steel...struggles with it for a year...throws in the towel and goes back to 6 string...sells pedal steel for pennies on the dollar because there are no pedal steel players within 250 miles" :lol:

Of those 3 (and the 3 I've sold since) I only ever regretted selling one. In 2006 I bought a brand new Carter SD10 (or as they called it an "S-10DB") direct from the factory in Mesquite TX. Beautiful instrument, light colored mica with a black arm rest with a rose of Texas design on it. Don't remember the model name but it was the most expensive single 10 they made and I think it cost me around $3500. Never got the hang of playing and didn't know how to loosen tension of the pedals which were really stiff so sold it 5 years later. As I mentioned, there was no one within 250 miles of me that could help and I had no idea there was a steelguitarforum where I could have gotten some help working on the pedal tension. I always wondered where that Carter wound up. Oh well...I'm happier I ended up with my Mullen 12 string so all's well that ends well ;-)
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
Scott Hiestand

Post by Scott Hiestand »

Two. My very first steel, a P/P baby blue Emmons S-10 with pad I bought from Bobbe Seymour and eventually sold back to him. Bad move.

Then a ZB Custom D-10 (Billy Knowles rebuild) which I sold on here. Bad move again.

These were the 2 best sounding steels I ever owned.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

That was an interesting ~ year 2000 post Bob.
One would be lucky to even touch that price multiplied by three 21 years later.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm still using that volume pedal, Jim. :mrgreen:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

A few years ago my friend David offered me this Bryan Adams 8p 10K push-pull at $1,000 less than he was gonna sell it on the Forum for and I am still kicking myself to this day for not selling a lung or kidney to buy it. It was the absolute epitome of p/p tone! That awesome “GROWLY-TWANG” in spades and played just almost as smoothly and easily as my pre RP Mullen. 😖🥲
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

b0b, you inspired me greatly with that copedent when I was reworking my Marlen. The spirit lives on.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
A J Head

Post by A J Head »

What would one of those early pre '70s Emmons s10 be worth now, 3 pedals, 1 knee
Keith Bolog

none

Post by Keith Bolog »

Zero regrets. Living the dream
Say what you mean. Mean what you say.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

My first "rear" steel guitar, a 1940's Gibson Console Grande D8

I sold it in the late 80's with it's original pink plush case, because I was traveling the world. Got "good" money for it and could buy one for the same money, I am sure... but THIS one was mine.

... J-D

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.