2014 GFI Expo SD-10 #3 pedal moves when pushing down #1

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Newman

2014 GFI Expo SD-10 #3 pedal moves when pushing down #1

Post by Rick Newman »

When I push the #1 pedal(A) I notice the #3 (C) pedal moves.
I have noticed lately the turning is getting off on my pedal tuning lately also. I don't see any problems with the the linkages touching each other either. Could there be a problem with the changer?? I notice when I push down on the #1 pedal my tuner picks up a slight change in my #4 E string. But that pedal doesn't suppose to change that string.
I also noticed on the top of my changer there is a small nick that I haven't noticed before either. Like it came in contact with something at some point.
Just wonder if anyone has an idea about solving tis problem??
I haven't ever put any oil on the changer because GFI recommends not putting oil on it.
Thanks in advance!!
Stage One
GFI SD-10
Fender Telecoustic
Dean Acoustic Electric
Peavey Nashville 112
Roland Cube 80X Amp
Boss Delay
Hilton Volume Pedal
Bengt Erlandsen

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

Pedal#3 could move "slighty" when pressing pedal#1 if the string pulls on string 4 and 5 isnt properly syncronized. If there are no helper return springs on the pedals then the nylon tuner on pedal#3 string 5 might be resting at the raise changer when not engaged. When Pedal#1 is pressed this restpoint is now gone and pedal 3# will then most likely rest with nylon tuner at string 4 raise changer. If you engage both pedal#1 and kneelever that raise both E's you most likely would see pedal#3 move even more. My suspicion is that string 5 will start to raise in pitch ever so slightly before string 4 start to raise in pitch when pressing pedal#3 on your guitar.

B.Erlandsen
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Back off the tuning nut for C pedal string 5. Then see if that eliminates the problem. Sounds like not enough slack in the rod for string 5.

String 5 raises are the only common points.

Did you recently change strings and/or gauges?
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Check the guitar underneath for dragging linkage.
On a standard E9th tuning.
The A (1st) Pedal Shares a pull with the C (3rd) Pedal on the 5th string. If the pedals have a little free play in the pull rods, As they should, You may see movement. When the A (1st) pedals is shoved the C (3rd) Pedal will may move slightly, And when the C (3rd) is shoved the A (1st) may move a little. And when the
The C (3rd) pedal pulls String 5 to C# and the 4th string to F#. Between all the pulls, All 3 pedals are somewhat connected together under the guitar. Some linkage dragging each other could cause a problem with the 4th string.

When pushing down on the 1st (A) Pedal down you are raising the 5th and 10th strings from B to C#. That ugly thing called CABINET DROP my be showing up in the guitar. You may just have to fudge the bar and live with it.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.