John McClung lessons

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
Kjell Olofsson

John McClung lessons

Post by Kjell Olofsson »

Over the last year or so I have been taking Skype lessons with John McClung going through his E9 101 course. I just want to say how much this has helped me in getting started and getting a good foundation as a beginning steel player.

As a teacher John is very easy to work with, always positive and supportive and he has a great ability to spot problems in your playing and set you on the right path to correct them.
I really liked the structured approach he has with the E9 course, each lesson has a purpose and a goal. Besides the obvious parts with right and left hand technique etc. a big benefit for me has been the large emphasis on music theory and ear-training.

Skype lessons work very well even from (almost) the other side of the world and since you record every lesson you can go back and review it as much as you like.

I know it has been said on this forum before, but I just want to say that I agree with the positive comments about John's lessons and way of teaching
and I can really recommend taking lessons with him.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Thumbs up!
Fred Wright

John McClung

Post by Fred Wright »

I agree. He's the best! Fred
Jeremy Klein

Post by Jeremy Klein »

Just wanted to chime in on my experience with John:

I recently finished John's E9 101 course and felt like I got more than my money's worth. John's lesson plan is comprehensive and well organized, and the lesson handouts are something I still regularly refer to even after completing the course.

During the lessons, John was always friendly and accommodating. Despite the lessons being highly structured, he was always willing to tap into my own interests and goals on the PSG and personalize the lesson.

If I had continued to try and teach myself with books and youtube videos, I wouldn't have progressed a quarter as much as I did with these lessons. Couldn't recommend more to a beginning steel player!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Thank you for the very kind words, Jeremy.

Jeremy came to me with a decent music background, so we sped through my" E9 101: Bandstand Fundamentals" curriculum to ensure he had a handle on all the basics of chords, scales, how to hear chords and melodies, and how to play with taste and tone. Towards the end we threaded in songs he was working on for his band needs. That's always my general approach, I do my best to tailor teachings to every student's unique needs and desires.

I do have openings for new Skype students, so if you're brand new to E9 pedal steel guitar, or struggling on your own and just need some guidance and direction, please reach out to me via email, and I'll send you complete info.

John McClung
steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
310-480-0717

E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jim Reynolds

Post by Jim Reynolds »

John, I think you play a Universal 12. Do you give lesson on them. I know you can use standard E9th/C6th lesson with them. Not sure what all maybe out there for them.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Sorry, Jim, I only teach 10 or 12-string E9. I teach to my strengths and knowledge.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Easy PayPal link: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/JohnMcClung
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jeremy Long

Another vote for John McClung's lessons!

Post by Jeremy Long »

I was lucky enough to take in-person lessons from John in San Pedro, CA back in the day, but there are certain benefits to having it digitally captured forever for recall purposes. I can't recommend John enough for lessons on everything E9! It has been said on the forum before, but the difference with his lessons are the personal touch catering to what your specific goals are. You can bring him a song and he'll quickly transcribe it. He even shows you work-arounds if your copedent is different. Are you starting from scratch? No problem. His curriculum takes you from "This is a steel guitar" to more than competent chording, fills, solos, etc... The attention to detail is what all the other courses lack. The hands-on approach. Speaking of hands, he studies your hand as you strike the strings! (He even shaped my picks for me that I still use to this day!) Graduating his course gives you the tools to take what he's taught and use it to transcribe pedal steel material for yourself and take it as far as you want! I was a guy in Long Beach, CA who had just bought a steel and needed guidance. Cut to 12 years later and I was playing that same steel on The Grand Ole Opry! All thanks to John McClung. In summary, if you're thinking of taking lessons with John...DO IT!!!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Kind words, Jeremy, thank you!

I'm very proud of Jeremy's progress playing steel. He came to me a great musician already, a whiz at lead guitar and keyboards, so the task was simply to show him the logic and structure of the E9 tuning, and he applied everything he already knew to the steel.

Consequently, he sped through my E9 101 curriculum in record time. And now he's a pro out of Nashville!

Your background goals and may be more modest: having a better understanding of the E9 tuning; comprehending music more deeply; learning how to better transcribe those great licks you hear on records; etc. Whatever your goals and needs are, I do all I can to help you achieve them, and approach teaching you in a friendly, supportive way that works best for you. I bring to the table nearly 50 years of playing professionally, and 30 years of teaching.

How can I help you become the steel player you want to be?

Play purty,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717
E9 INSTRUCTION