Roland Cube 80 xl

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Bowles

Roland Cube 80 xl

Post by Mike Bowles »

anyone still using one? if so what is your settings. thanks.
Mike Bowles
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

I use a Cube 80 XL for my guitar at gigs. I find it a bit underpowered for stage work with my steel, but I use it for steel at home and at band practice. It's a great amp, and truly hard to find a bad setting using the clean channel. Currently my settings for steel on the clean channel are:

Bass...... 2 o'clock
Mid....... 1 o'clock
Treble.... 12 o'clock
Presence.. 11 o'clock
Delay..... 8 o'clock
Reverb.....9 o'clock
Mike Bowles

Roland Cube 80 xl

Post by Mike Bowles »

Thanks Tommy i will try your settings
Mike Bowles
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

i have a couple of those. they are great amps. every situation you are in is different. the acoustics of the room, where you are in the room, the other people you are playing with etc. i dont think you can can ever depend on ONE setting. i change my to fit the area i am working in. anyway, that is a swiss army knife amp. the clean jc 120 channel and then the amp simulation channel and multiple gadgets you can use at once.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I have one and I love it for duets and trio gigs, however I need someone to fix it. When I power up, all the effects come on full blast and I can't shut them off. I've tried all the reset (reboot)tricks
Mike Bowles

Roland Cube 80 xl

Post by Mike Bowles »

thanks everyone i will try some different settings.
Mike Bowles
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:I have one and I love it for duets and trio gigs, however I need someone to fix it. When I power up, all the effects come on full blast and I can't shut them off. I've tried all the reset (reboot)tricks
I think I talked o you about that problem some time back... I take it that it's STILL a problem !

Can't remember what I said last time ( !! ) BUT, does the same thing happen when yo turn it on with the footswitch plugged in?

(Edit):

If it does NOT happen with the footswitch plugged in, and you can then turn the effects on and off with the footswitch, it's very likely the switching contacts inside the jacks for the footswitches (in the amp) are corroded/oxiidised, and need cleaning.

The Roland "convention" for the way those circuits work, is that the (remote) footswitch has to BREAK the circuit in order to achieve a change in status....

HTH

Peter
Last edited by Peter Harris on 10 Jan 2021 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!
Dick Sexton

Roland 80XL

Post by Dick Sexton »

Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I have a couple of 80XL amps. Using the JC Clean side these are the settings I start with:

Bass: 2 o'clock
Middle: 10 o'clock
Treble: 10 o'clock
Presence: 9 o'clock
Bright: OFF
Plate Reverb: 3 o'clock

Sometimes I back the Bass off closer to 12 o'clock.
If I reduce the Bass like that, I find that it is necessary to do the same with thr Middle and Treble.

On the 80 XL amps the tone controls can make pretty big changes from one notch to the next, so make small changes as you are looking for your best tone.

To my ears, the amp sounds much better when the volume is set at 12 o'clock or higher.

I hope this helps.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Mike Bowles

Roland Cube 80 xl

Post by Mike Bowles »

thanks everyone i will try all these settings.
Mike Bowles
Bill Hatcher

Re: Roland 80XL

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Dick Sexton wrote:Image
i dont see how you run the bass on stun....;-)
Dick Sexton

On Stun?

Post by Dick Sexton »

Huh????? Oye????? Hahaha! Old pic... Now running about 3/4 full.
Doug Petersen

Roland Cube 80xl

Post by Doug Petersen »

I have one I`ve been playing through about 6 or 7 years.Great amp for steel but recently I get no sound out of the speaker and the ext.speaker jack but everything else works. Took it in to a Roland dealer and said it couldn`t be fixed because the circuit board is to difficult to work on. Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Same thing happened to me but I cleaned headphone jack in back and got sound back. Idk I'd clean them all with Deoxit before you give up.
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

Mitch Adelman wrote:Same thing happened to me but I cleaned headphone jack in back and got sound back. Idk I'd clean them all with Deoxit before you give up.

Absolutely !

...and once you've done that, if you're NOT using the headphone jack, put a bit of tape over the hole to keep the grot out !

BTW, be VERY careful of the Cube plastic jack nuts becoming loose and getting lost...they are unique to the thread of the Roland jack and very difficult (and expensive !!) to replace...a tiny (!) drop of somebody else's nail polish on the thread, before replacing, will assist in them staying tightened..

HTH

Peter
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Those jack nuts are serious junk. I bought some thin jam nuts made of metal to substitute for the broken brittle plastic ones. The threads are metric 12mm x 125mm thread pitch. Otherwise its a good amp.
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

My Roland Cube X80L is still working fine, no problems yet, I like the fact that you can save a setting and then return to the other standard amp settings and tinker with them.