New to hearing aids

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Shalita

Post by Ron Shalita »

Bummer that the one thing we all enjoyed made us all deaf ...would I do it all over again? You bet!
Been playing all of my life, Lead Guitar, and Pedal Steel, sing Lead and Harmony.. play other Instruments also but I hate to admit to it..
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

Emmons & Peavey
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

What’s the deal with all these new diseases? Just when I think it can’t get any worse they come out with the hearing aids.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Masks certainly don't help matters.

Straps around my ears.
Hearing aids behind my ears.
Eyeglasses on top of my ears.

It's getting a bit crowded.

Then you have masks muffling and filtering out the very frequencies the hearing aids are designed to amplify.
Ron Shalita

Post by Ron Shalita »

hahahahahah at over crowded ... forgot to say glasses fogging up now because of the masks hehehehe
Been playing all of my life, Lead Guitar, and Pedal Steel, sing Lead and Harmony.. play other Instruments also but I hate to admit to it..
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Hah! How could I forget the fogged eyeglasses?

:)
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I just got a new hearing aid but I don't think it's very good.....someone asked me "what kind is it?".......I said...."2:30".....
Ron Shalita

Post by Ron Shalita »

Hahahahaha Howard! Hehehehehe
Kurt Gepke

Post by Kurt Gepke »

I've been wearing hearing aids since 2006 and I have a 94db loss above 2400Hz in both ears.

If I don't wear them, I end up over compensating by increasing my treble to the point of sounding "brittle and shrill".

MY SOLUTION:
I have my own monitor mix that I use just for my station. I rely on the input from my fellow band members to adjust the EQ through the FOH speakers.

This seems to work great with IEM as well as with a Behringer personal monitor.

TO VETERANS:
I use the V.A. issued hearing aids. I have my everyday walking around set with ported "in canal" earpieces and I have my original (backup) set that uses the flange type fitting. If I'm not wearing In Ear Monitors, I use the backups for use on stage because they let in ambient sounds. This sounds MUCH more natural to my ear than wearing a closed In Canal earpiece.

MEN lose their high frequencies with age and WOMEN lose their low frequencies. This is just nature at work.
Those losses must be compensated for in order to understand speech better. Thus, we end up with what seems to be too much high end. Sounds like somebody crumpling cellophane and it's frustrating.