WHO currently rebuilds Push Pull Emmons guitars?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J D Sauser

WHO currently rebuilds Push Pull Emmons guitars?

Post by J D Sauser »

It's been two decades since I left the "steel field"... so, I am not current on who does what anymore:

I am toying with the idea of looking for a BOLT-ON D-10 Push Pull and having it restored and re-set up by somebody with an impeccable track record. The guitar has to be a tone MONSTER (not all PP's sound great).
The thing is, I need an added middle LK-cluster for my C6th (5P&4K) which is likely to become a D6th.
My E9th may also drop to D9th for a warmer tone and being in relation to the 6th tuning, but be otherwise straight forward BE (3&5) setup.

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

JD, Tommy Cass in upper Massachusetts is a wizard with Emmonses . . . . and all the others, too.

Saludos, Chris
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Billy Knowles, Kenansville N.Carolina. (910) 296-7428
Mike Cass, Nashville Tenn. (615) 446-5952
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Thanks to both.

Criss, is Tommy Cass related to Mike Cass? Would you have his contact info?

Ben, I'll also contact Billy Knowles

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

One more is John Widgren in Connecticut (203)-762-8951. All three of the names I listed have worked on my 1976 D10 push/pull and they all did great work.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Tommy Cass(ella) is not related to Mike Cass.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Lynn Stafford-Oregon.
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

I’m currently working on restoring a 67’ Bolt On that I intend to sell when complete. I’d be happy to provide references amongst those already mentioned if you’d be interested.
Russell Nugent

Post by Russell Nugent »

Clem Schmitz, PP guru, is still working on them in Minnesota. freedomsauce@comcast.net
Mark Perrodin

emmons

Post by Mark Perrodin »

I’d like to show some support for Clem. He accepted a commission from me sight unseen
on an old weird,mismatched Emmons. It really was a piece of crap that reflected my low buy-in price. He returned to me the epitome of a polished turd. He had taken an unplayable beat up, rotten guitar and turned it into a beautiful soft-playing heirloom quality guitar. And i had the pleasure of being able to talk to him via phone and email. Honestly, a guy like Clem has an interesting historical perspective that is included in the labor charge. I really enjoyed talking to him and hearing his remembrances of steel guitar from a different era. So in case you haven’t figured it out, I wholeheartedly endorse Clem. Hook up with these legends before they retire.
mark
Last edited by Mark Perrodin on 13 Jan 2021 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Mike Scaggs too
Steve Cattermole

Post by Steve Cattermole »

In Southern California there's Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars of North County.He's very good,and very honest
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Henry Matthews also does nice work.A forum search turned this up.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... s&start=25
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Billy Knowles did the work on my brown guitar. Mike Cass did the other bolton. Both play and sound wonderfully.
I need an Emmons!
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Yes, Henry Matthews is the guru for p/p Emmons Guitars in the Central part of the USA. Texarkana, Ark. He is a forum member and you can contact him thru it. And Damir Besic is a buyer/seller out of Nashville and also a forum member. Both are good guys. The other Gentlemen mentioned are all good guys also. I just have done dealings with Henry and Damir. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I have know Clem forever.
He wrote the book on Push Pull guitars.
Even though in the early days he was mistreated by some biggies in this business he has hung in there.
His book is still for sale and if you own an Emmons P\P you should have it.
I can also attest to Mike Cass as he has rebuilt a couple of guitars for me.
The afore mentioned mechanics in this thread, all come well recommended.
Sven Kontio

Post by Sven Kontio »

Honestly, Clem Schmitz is THE guy to go to if you want to have your pp set up to perfection. You don´t know how a pp should feel and work until you´ve sat behind one worked over by Clem. Clem ran the Pedal Steel Guitar Emporium, Mt Juliet, Tn as well as in Mpls, Mn for many, many years keeping the pros on the road. He is extremely knowledgeable on pedal steel guitars in general and on Emmons Push Pulls in particular. Anyone can polish but a very rare few know how to really work on, adjust and set up an Emmons Push Pull - detail skills that I´m afraid in a relatively short period of time will be lost for ever...