What cart do you use?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matthew Walton

What cart do you use?

Post by Matthew Walton »

Hi all,

What do you use to transport your steel rig? In my recent thread about the weight of a Nashville 112, Bill Moore reminded me of the existence of carts, and turned me onto the Rock-N-Roller. So now I’m curious for a larger sampling: what do you all use for transporting your steel rig? Rock N Roller? Something else? What size?

For my particular use case, I’ll be wanting to transport the following: MSA S-12 “The Universal”, Peavey Nashville 112 (until I buy a smaller bass rig), Steel Seat Slimline (no side car), Strat or Tele (can be carried backpack-style if needed), Pelican 1510, and Pedaltrain Nano+ Pedalboard. My non-pedal setup will replace the pedal steel and steel seat with a Pelican 1720 case, but everything else will stay the same. (Edit: oh, and also fit all of this in a 2017 Subaru Impreza Hatchback.)

Thanks!
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Here's mine. It's from Murray Equipment Co, and I've had it for 30 years. Heavy, but built like a tank, and it folds right up. Been thinking about a Rock'n' Roller for the weight savings, but I'd like to see one in person.
Jim Park

Post by Jim Park »

Its the Rock-N-Roller for me all the way... its hauled my crap plus the PA many many times, plus stuff around the house.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Rock-N-Roller

I got the R2RT (Micro), the smallest one. It extends to 39 inches.

I also use it for an amp stand at the venue.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I have to go up and down stairs for gigs a lot, and generally try to get everything in the back end of my Element without folding the back seats up. So I generally prefer a small folding hand truck to a dolly. I have something very similar to this, that I got from Sam's Club - https://www.samsclub.com/p/dolly-large/prod23100740 - not sure it's the same brand but pretty much the same specs.

I do have an inexpensive dolly that I use more for guitar shows than gigs. But it is useful for gigs if the load-in is flat and on one floor - https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-3 ... 68894.html

The hand truck takes up very little room, which may be relevant vis-a-vis this item -
(Edit: oh, and also fit all of this in a 2017 Subaru Impreza Hatchback.)
I sometimes used my daughter's Impreza hatchback for a while. It was pretty "space challenged" in comparison to my Element. I always had to put the seats down to get my pedal steel rig in. I guess one of the bigger carts mighta' gotten in, but I'm glad I never had to do it.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Rock and Roller , the smaller one, the Emmons Steel case fits with just a tad of room to spare.

Load in, load out, 1 trip.

I also keep a spare cart in the back of the Van. A COSCO folding cart.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
George Kimery

What cart do you use

Post by George Kimery »

Rock'N Roller R-6. It's larger with bigger wheels. Converts to several configurations to fit the occassion. It takes my steel, amp, pack a seat, and amp stand without having to stack things on top of each other. It has "slider" bars beneath the wheels for going up steps sled style. After I unload, the other band members use it to haul the PA system in.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

Thanks all! How many of you transport your PSG in the case vs assembled? I come from the school of "transport assembled when possible," so that's probably another snag for me. Last night I taped out a rectangle the size of the Rock-N-Roller R6G platform (16" x 39") they sell, and I don't see a way to get all my stuff on that size cart, without making the platform significantly wider than the one they sell (which I'll have to do anyways since the legs are spaced wider than 16"). But I might play with a little more before going up to the next size.
Dave Mudgett wrote:I sometimes used my daughter's Impreza hatchback for a while. It was pretty "space challenged" in comparison to my Element. I always had to put the seats down to get my pedal steel rig in. I guess one of the bigger carts mighta' gotten in, but I'm glad I never had to do it.
A few months ago I upgraded from my 2006 Mazda3 to the Impreza. I haven't put the Impreza totally through its paces, but it's a little bigger than the Mazda3, and I've fit an impressive amount of stuff in that car, as long as I'm willing to fold the seats down. I played Six Flags yesterday, and brought this convertible hand truck. (Side note, I've always called hand trucks "dollys". I wonder if it's a regional thing.) I've always avoided using it, because it's just a pain to haul around, but I managed to fit that, my guitar, lap steel, Nashville 112, small pedalboard, and ZT Lunchbox in there without much difficulty. Not so little difficulty I want to use it long-term though. Just too bulky to be versatile.
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

(Side note, I've always called hand trucks "dollys". I wonder if it's a regional thing.)
A hand truck has two wheels and stands upright. A dolly is a 4 wheel platform. https://www.hevihaul.com/hand-truck-vs- ... ifference/. What you got was a combination hand-truck/dolly. That would be a good choice for me except that I often travel with band members and/or other people, and we'd never get everything in with a non-foldup hand truck like that. I also never need it to handle more than 150-200 pounds, and the usual load is less than 100 pounds. I could function with a prety lightweight portable hand truck.

I also don't generally expect to load in/out in just one trip. As I said earlier, if my load-ins were mostly on a level surface just going into the ground floor, I'd probably be more up for a bigger, heavier-duty hand-truck/dolly that I could get everything onto. Not my world, unfortunately. :\

Hey, until this covid thing subsides, all of this is purely theoretical, for me anyway. No gigs anywhere around here until either the vaccine is well distributed or it warms up a helluvalot.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

Without getting too far off topic, this is all I meant: you know that thing with two wheels that tilts back? I've always called that a dolly, and so has everyone I know. Which doesn't preclude me and folks I know calling other things dollys as well. I still call a furniture dolly a furniture dolly. Which, actual proper terminology aside, makes me wonder if it's a regional thing to call them as such.

And yeah, that's why I want to use something else, because it's way too big for daily use. In general, my rule is that if I can't get everything in one trip, I need to reconfigure my rig. When playing bass I use a flat-collapsable hand truck/2-wheel dolly like yours to haul the amp around, put my backpack and pedalboard on top, and carry my bass on my back. Unfortunately that collapsible device is MIA, so I went with the big guns yesterday.

Most of my gigs tend to be places where either ramps are available, or it's worth it to roll, carry piecemeal up the stairs, then roll again to final destination.

Fred Rogan

Post by Fred Rogan »

I bought a On-Stage UTC 2200 compact utility cart from sweetwater - best piece of gear I ever bought.
My steel and a speaker cab and head (or my Twin) plus steel seat all fit nicely and if necessary I can lay a guitar across the top. It folds up nicely and is a quality piece of gear. Also has locking wheels which come in handy. I use it every single weekend and it has held up great.
Show Pro SD10 guitars
Milkman Amps
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

Whatever you choose, in addition to the music box store, “Rock n Roller”, similar varieties are available on line, if you do a search. I had a fancy one when I hauled surgery instruments for my day gig .

I’ve seen inexpensive ones at harbor freight, Lowe’s, and Home Depot.

At times, I had to keep my amp on the two wheeled dolly, as some clubs were so small and crowded, there was no room to store it.

I hope I need mine sometime soon.
Last edited by Steve Spitz on 5 Jan 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Kimery

What cart do you use

Post by George Kimery »

On my R-6 cart, I turn my steel case vertical against the cart handle and secure it with a bungee cord. Then my amp (with a padded Tuki cover) against the case. Lastly, my pack a seat against the amp. Nothing is stacked on top of anything.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cosco-800-lb-4 ... k/50415058

Lightweight
Inexpensive
3 positions: vertical handtruck, reclining handtruck or dolly
George Kimery

What cart do you use

Post by George Kimery »

Steve, on a ssd mall stage, you might be able to use your empty Rock N Roller as an amp stand.
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

My favorite cart is this Foldit Utility Cart. A little pricey (made in USA) but I can roll a full load (steel, 2 amps, and misc) over a lumpy lawn with one hand. About $230 on Amazon.

https://www.tipkemfg.com/foldit/index.html

https://www.amazon.com/Tipke-2100-Marin ... B00006LPPJ

It is worth taking a bit of time up front to learn how it works, but ultimately it's very easy to fold and unfold.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I have used a KartMaster for about 25 years. It is the most heavy duty, folds up compact and will carry up to 600 pounds.
Problem is now it is too heavy for me. It weighs about 40#.
It was the standard for most pro players even with a price tag of around $600 back when I bought it, but it sure served it's purpose.
Now I use it to move stuff around the house, because I really don't play out anymore.

I would offer it for sale, locally, if someone is interested.

Wow, I just checked, they are going for $950 now. Shewee.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.