What could this group have sounded like?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

My parents took me to a Hawaiian Ensemble group back in the late 1960's when I was around 10 years old. I was playing steel then, although not good, but never the less, my attention was on the group. I remember it to be about 10 people, both male and female, 2 uke players, 3 rhythm guitar players, and I think 4 lap steeler's, including a lady, doing continuous slides up and down the neck.
Need less to say, they were absolutely horrible!!!
My mom started laughing and couldn't stop. I wish I could remember more about the group, but the photo here, jogged my memory. I think they were a traveling group and the day we heard them they were at a Spokane, Washington senior center, as I recall.
Charles Stange

Post by Charles Stange »

just what does a "Chinese Marching Band" sound like?

all the examples I heard on youtube sounded Great!
Charles 'Skip' Stange
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Charles Stange wrote:just what does a "Chinese Marching Band" sound like?!
To me, pretty much like this
https://youtu.be/Dav732xploE
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

They sound like a marching band to me
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDc1HK3vZ40

I’m sure the era that picture is from in the OP had its share of crappy sounding bands, and bad Hawaiian music is not unthinkable. You’re either well rehearsed and competent or you’re not. That band could have had a very interesting sound. The three lap guitars are all different, so it stands to reason they could have approached it like a horn section, each playing either a harmony, unison, counter melody, or supporting parts.