Cases for Lap Steels?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ryan Lunenfeld

Cases for Lap Steels?

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Does anyone have suggestions for a lap steel case?

My eh 185's original case's handle is breaking:-(... interesting that it's got newspaper underneath the leather!

I'd really like something light, but also protective... Love this thing, but also want to play it out!
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I use NcSTAR CV2906 Tactical Rifle Bags. They're available in various colors and lengths. From about $20.00 to $25.00.
A word to the wise -- be careful walking through airports.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

What about a leather replacement handle? Or have your original re-wrapped by a local cobbler?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allparts-Repla ... Swd~Fe48nd
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

One of the Main issues besides the handle breaking ... is the weight ! Haha... not fun to carry around an eh 185 with just one handle. I guess a case with a shoulder or back strap would be great.

I love freaking out guitarists with how heavy the 185 is haha 😂
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

I got the one Jack posted. I wasn't real happy with it. I would rather have a compartment with a zipper. I had a tone bar roll out on the floor of my Jeep. It doesn't close well enough for small items. Just my $.02
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Bob Russell

Re: Cases for Lap Steels?

Post by Bob Russell »

Ryan Lunenfeld wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for a lap steel case?

My eh 185's original case's handle is breaking:-(... interesting that it's got newspaper underneath the leather!

I'd really like something light, but also protective... Love this thing, but also want to play it out!
Cordoba makes a really nice baritone uke bag that fits my Chandler lap steel well.
Lots of stringy things, many of them slidey.
Bob Womack

Post by Bob Womack »

Gretsch makes a nice padded gig bag for their steels.

It has a zip close pocket. You'll have to figure out if your guitar will fit. Available around, including Sweetwater and Amazon, for $29.99. I carry my Gretsch back and forth to the studio across a loading dock in it.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bulldog-ca ... SHOT-BD492

Tom Pettingill used this for one of the lap steels he made for me. Works great and nothing falls out. They come in different sizes too.
Four Pettingills and a Clinesmith Aluminum. Fender Blues Junior. Quilter Mini-101.
Darryl Dunmore

Post by Darryl Dunmore »

Do a Google search for a mountain dulcimer case or gig bag.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I once found a case for a Supro lap steel in the archery and rifle case section of a local outdoor supply store.
Charles Stange

Post by Charles Stange »

if your not looking for the cheapest thing you can get. both Morrell & Goldtone offer a "Universal" Hardshell Case for Lap Steel.
Charles 'Skip' Stange
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

On Bob Stone's recommendation, about a decade ago I purchased a 34" Bulldog tactical rifle bag. I can't imagine a better choice for most lap steels. I use mine for my Rickenbachers but have also used it for Supros and a number of other steels (I think there may be a longer version, as well, which would better accommodate long-scale instruments). It's heavily padded, has a rugged zipper, handles and an adjustable shoulder strap. Better yet, it also has two large, zippered pockets large enough to carry all your accessories and an 8" x 11" binder. As I say, it's some years since I purchased mine but I assume they're still in production. I'm not about to check, though. When I tried to buy one for a student three or four years ago an alert from the NSA or some such agency flashed on my screen saying that the item was prohibited for export and that I was being monitored. So yes, I'd definitely heed Jack's advice about carrying any rifle bag through an airport. I remember a while back hearing about the SWAT team being deployed to the Calgary airport when someone was seen carrying one holding what turned out to be a guitar.
George Piburn

Case for my KOA Santa Fe

Post by George Piburn »

Here is a Baritone Ukulele Case I got from Guitar Center On-Line for under 50 dollars including shipping.

I had to cut the accessories box out from under the neck - no super big deal, vacuum out some debris.

In my situation I add some black Fleece from walmart to add some small padding to stop flop around.

The Guitar is my Last Koa SantaFe - I've never advertised. (Ryan - Hint - Hint)

Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Todd Clinesmith supplies Blue Heron soft cases with his lap steels and they seem pretty good.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Jim Pollard

Post by Jim Pollard »

I use a Plano 36 inch rifle case from academy. It even comes with the pluckable foam to make customizing easy. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano- ... id=5348507
David Irving

Post by David Irving »

Like a couple of others above, I've found shotgun cases are perfect.

You might need to remove the existing foam and replace it with high-density stuff, though.
Brad Richard

Post by Brad Richard »

I bought Jackson Minion Dinky gig bag for my RK RG-32 from Pro Audio Star. It was on sale and fits great. They've got a used one listed for $14.99 if anyone's interested.
https://www.proaudiostar.com/jackson-gi ... .html#info
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

I just noticed TKL makes a lap gig bag, I have another of theirs that i Can't identify, good bag. About 34 inches long, pretty deep and holds 2 lap steels comfortably.

https://reverb.com/item/7779639-tkl-462 ... -soft-case?
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

If you enjoy "making"
I've made a couple cases for lap and pedal steel guitars. A quick case can be made using 3/4" clear pine for the front back and sides. Cap the top and bottom with 1/4" Luan. Make an enclosed box then cut in two halves on the table saw. Dry wall screws and wood glue for the sides, front and back. many small nails and glue for top and bottom.
The appointments are up to you. This makes for a rugged lightweight case.
I've never been lucky enough to find the right size in anything pre-made.