Stripping paint off of aluminum (Crossover)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Liam Sullins

Stripping paint off of aluminum (Crossover)

Post by Liam Sullins »

I'm needing some advice for stripping paint off of my Crossover when I start to work on it. What would be the best option for it? Sanding is going to take a lot of time...
'66 Sho~Bud Fingertip, Sho~Bud amps, Fenders, old cars and Tinkerin with steels!
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

If you’re completely disassembling the guitar you could consider having it soft bead blasted. Our shop can provide a smooth, light texture, and rough textured finished surface. You should be able to find someone in your area who can do it. Might cost a little but it’s a big time saver and the ultimate prepped surface.

Just my 2 cents...good luck!!
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Eddy Dunlap

Post by Eddy Dunlap »

Jeff Surratt has worked on/refurbished numerous Crossovers over the past few years(including a recent one that was Scott Shipley's now with Steve Hinson) and Pete Drake's. He always rebuffed or finished the hardware to the best cosmetic shape it can be in.

Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

If you used a good quality paint stripper, would that not work? Unsure how aluminum is affected by paint stripper.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The frame is an aluminum/magnesium alloy. It didn't have a smooth finish like polished aluminum so I think a paint stripper wouldn't harm the metal, though I don't know how attractive it would be.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

I want to state that I made some assumptions in my first post.

-I remembered the crossover I owned had a black frame/endplates etc...all the metal except for the undercarriage was painted black...and maybe had a “krinkle” typed finish. So I assumed the OP’s guitar is like the one I had.

-I assumed that the OP’s intention is to repaint the metal frame black instead of going for something shiny.

The suggestion I posted was based upon the statements above. All possibilities should be considered based upon his goals.

Best regards,
MB
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Liam Sullins

Post by Liam Sullins »

Marty Broussard wrote:I want to state that I made some assumptions in my first post.

-I remembered the crossover I owned had a black frame/endplates etc...all the metal except for the undercarriage was painted black...and maybe had a “krinkle” typed finish. So I assumed the OP’s guitar is like the one I had.

-I assumed that the OP’s intention is to repaint the metal frame black instead of going for something shiny.

The suggestion I posted was based upon the statements above. All possibilities should be considered based upon his goals.

Best regards,
MB
I should of put that in there, sorry! My goal is to bring it out to a shine.
'66 Sho~Bud Fingertip, Sho~Bud amps, Fenders, old cars and Tinkerin with steels!
Liam Sullins

Post by Liam Sullins »

Eddy Dunlap wrote:Jeff Surratt has worked on/refurbished numerous Crossovers over the past few years(including a recent one that was Scott Shipley's now with Steve Hinson) and Pete Drake's. He always rebuffed or finished the hardware to the best cosmetic shape it can be in.

I'll ask him, just spoke to him. He sent me a spring for the changer for my Crossover actually.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Be very careful with using a paint remover on aluminum.
If it contains Caustic Soda or similar chemical it will eat and destroy the aluminum.
Check its use on a small spot to be sure it is safe before using.
Even Oven cleaners will make aluminum form a white dusty crust as the aluminum is eaten.
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

Use "Kutzit". Won't harm the metal and it's not sloppy to use.
PRR
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

I wonder how a pressure washer would work?