Mike Douchette

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Neil Lang

Post by Neil Lang »

Another HUGE loss for our STEEL/FORUM family. RIP Mike.
Prayers and Condolences to his family.
Sho-Bud Steel Guitars, 3 Super Pro's, 1 Super Pro II (Rose) & 1 Finger Tip
Fender Guitars & Basses
Peavey Amps & Sound Equipment
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I’m in shock, this is a terrible news ... RIP Mike
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

I'm shocked reading this. I've had great times and great discussions with Mike when I lived in Hendersonville. Not all may know it, but he was a monster harmonica player. His style was the closest to Charlie McCoy I had ever heard. Rest In Peace, my dear friend. Prayers and my deepest condolences for the family.

Joe Rogers
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

RIP Mike, I will miss talking to you.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

Prayers sent
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I am devastated to read this, Mike was a good man. Sad a lot of the good ones are going. Rest high on that mountain brother.
Tommy Shown
Duane Brown

Post by Duane Brown »

Another kick in the gut! I met Mike in the '80's in Winnemucca Nevada Tammy was booked in for 2 shows on consecutivenights and I played a bar in the hotel we all stayed in, I enjoyed him then and alway enjoyed his comments on the forum. Rest in Peace Mike.
Bob Vantine

Michael Douchette ..... RIP

Post by Bob Vantine »

I also met Mikey back in the early 80's at a Tammy Wynette show here in NY State... He also talked me into buying my STAGE ONE 11-12 years ago .... I'm sad that I lost contact with him a few years back .... Prayers sent out to his family as his ex-wife Trina passed just a few weeks ago , so their kids have now lost both parents in such a short time .... RIP ! :cry:
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Bill L. Wilson

RIP Brother.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I met Mike at Hilltop Studio a few years ago when a good friend of mine played bass on a session and Mike played an Emmons PP thru a little Fender solid state amp. He was a fantastic player and I was really impressed with his talent. We discussed possibly trading an old Emmons S-10 I had, for his Franklin SD-10 (Tammy Guitar). Unfortunately I couldn’t get back in touch with him after I got back to Oklahoma and he probably wouldn’t have traded anyway. He had the guitar in the trunk of his car and at least I got to see it. RIP Brother.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I am shocked to read this news. He was a fantastic musician. RIP Mike, you will definitely be missed.
John LeMaster

Post by John LeMaster »

Sad to hear of Michael's passing. Prayers for the family.

John L.
Magnum D10, Emmons D10 push-pull
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I am so sorry to hear of Mikey's passing, we have had some wonderful exchanges over the years about steel guitar topics, we will most certainly miss him, thoughts and prayers for his family.
A.K.A Chappy.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

I'm not on the SGF much nowadays. Ill health has caused me to give up the noble instrument. Really sad to read of Mikey's and Tommy's passing. :-(
I'm well behaved, so there!
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

My sympathies and deepest condolences to Michael's family. Mike was a great steel player and harmonica player, and a nice guy.

Two in one day is especially hard. We're writing so many condolences for our friends, families, and beloved steel players.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

more terrible news.

I didn't know Mike but I've been reading his contributions here for years, and whenever we prepared for one of our Tammy Wynette tributes I always got to hear a big dose of Mike's playing on some of her later work.

rest in peace, Mike. you're a legend in my book.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

GOD my Father has blessed me to know many Musicians in my life on a personal professional level.Mike Douchette has been one of them with Tammy Wynette & Clint Black Tours and in Nashville. We have (Mike) shared my stories together over the years about this Music Business Industry and Awards Show and about his Father who was a great Songwriter. <>R.I.P. Mike my Musician Brother & May GOD heal the pains in your Families hearts in these times. Sincerely, Uncle Leo The Security Man from the Academy Of Country Music 38 years doing. :cry:
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

So very hard to learn of this news. Mike was just a good guy all around. Many years back we spent a day with Mike as he was in "Studio" sessions around Music Row. We had more fun with Mike than anyone should be allowed. Peace and prayers to Mikes family and friends.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

Damn. Just damn. Sorry for cursing. I heard about Mikey D’s passing and haven’t really felt like talking.

I’ve known him from the forum for a long time, but I guess I got to meet him in person 13 years ago or so...seems like yesterday!

He was such a talented musician, wealth of country music knowledge and the nicest person you could ever hope to meet.

Here he is 9/25/07 in Wichita, Ks on stage at the Orpheum. He was playing for the opening band on Clint Black’s tour. He had been playing his Push-Pull, but talked me into bringing my Pro-1 down to check out...then he talked me into letting him play it on the show. Here’s a pic from that night:

R.I.P. Mike...you were one of the great ones!!!

This still doesn’t seem real :(

~Casey
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I sure hate this. Mike came to the shop to pick up a guitar once and we had a great afternoon. He had to get back to Ft Leonard Wood to visit his son so could not stay too long. We visited on the phone and emailed many times. He just seemed to be a prince of a fella and we had several common interests. Rest in Peace friend, will see you soon.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Mike gave some credibility to those who double on the oft-maligned harmonica. I had hoped to meet up with him someday on one of my trips to Nashville but, alas. May he rest in peace. Seems I've read about there possibly being some harp playing in the hereafter.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Rest in peace Mike . You always came across as a good natured guy with sense of humour . Enjoyed reading your contributions over the years . Saddened to hear the news of your passing. Jerry
Paul McEvoy

Post by Paul McEvoy »

This made me incredibly sad over the last couple of days. RIP.
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

Finding out late about Mikeys passing.
So sad to hear this news. A great musician and friend, he was always with a smile and a laugh.
Mikey could play anything with strings, and a few things without so he stayed as busy as he wanted to be.
Never heard anyone speak a bad word about him, and here in The Guitar that's saying alot.
RIP my friend.
My condolences to his family and friends...thoughts and prayers.

MC
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

So sad to eat that this horrible bug got Mike.
We crossed swords over the years, but were still friends.
I enjoyed so many of his posts and insights.
Shocked to see his name here!

RIP Mike
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Here's Mike staying busy on harmonica & his Franklin pedal steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eYBcSWtJ28