Cut tail vs split tail Emmons

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Sodos

Cut tail vs split tail Emmons

Post by Ron Sodos »

Can somebody tell me the difference.
Thanx
Tommy Auldridge

Emmons CUT tail

Post by Tommy Auldridge »

There is no SPLIT tail. That's something different, not a steel guitar. :roll: Thanks, Tommy.....
Ron Sodos

Here is a quote from Buddy Emmons

Post by Ron Sodos »

Quote:
I think the original wraparound was the best sounding of all the Emmons guitars...
The Blade that I used for so many years was a split-tail and always sounded great to me until I played it next to a wraparound, so I can't honestly put it in the same category. That's not to shortchange the sound of the split-tail because most of my work has been done with the Blade. I don't know what to say about describing a sound that affects you personally other than through an old Zen adage: Those who know can't explain it and those who can explain it don't know. That's why we come up with terms like warm, fat, thick, thin, and raggedyassed.
When I make a fuss over a wraparound, it's because I've never played another guitar that inspired me as much. Many musicians say the same for other guitars, so it boils down to if you can play what you feel and feel what you play; you've got the right instrument.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I believe a split tail and a cut tail are just different terms for the same Emmons design.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Mike DiAlesandro

Re: Emmons CUT tail

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Tommy Auldridge wrote:There is no SPLIT tail. That's something different, not a steel guitar. :roll: Thanks, Tommy.....

:lol:
George Kimery

Cut tail vs. Split tail Emmons

Post by George Kimery »

Look at one. The changer doesn't touch the metal neck. There is a small space between them. You could say the changer and neck are split apart, or say the tail end of the neck has been cut out to accommodate the changer. So take your pick. Cut tail or split tail. Envelope or onvelope. Same thing.
Last edited by George Kimery on 4 Dec 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

Cut or split refers to the end of the neck behind the changer. The tail is cut out, and the “patent” plate is installed to which the rear of the changer attaches. Cut or split, same thing.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Here's a post describing the 3 types of push/pull changers. The latter being the cut tail and yes, I have heard it referred to as split tail too.
Ron Whitworth wrote:For Bill Ford;
here is a picture ( not mine tho - from the Steel Forum ) of all 3 different Emmons changers.
I believe the picture is from Mr Jay Ganz.....Ron

please wear a mask. just do it. it won't kill you. 😷
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Cut tail or split tail were never Emmons company terms. The consumers in steel guitar land started that description.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Jack Strayhorn -

'really appreciate you sharing your knowledge of Emmons steels here on The Forum

How did the Emmons factory refer to what we've become to refer to as "cut-tails" and "split tails"?

Thanks !
Ron