RIP Tommy Dodd

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Incredibly sad news, given what he has been through in the last 12 months and the progress he was making.... condolences to Donna and the family, RIP Big fella, I will miss you mate
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Brian Straub

Tommy dodd

Post by Brian Straub »

Condolences to Donna and family. I met Tommy in 2011. He had a booth at the shows and we became friends. He sold some cool shirts and sold good picks as well. His setlist at the shows and numerous cds always contained songs you don't normally play on a steel. He always said the steel is for all kinds of music with a big southern grin. His energy and love of playing was inspiring. He will be missed. RIP Tommy.
Justice D-10, Evans Amp, Sarno V-8, Gibson Lap Steel BR-9, Telonics Pedal.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I'm so sorry to hear about Tommy's passing. He was a gem.

My prayers and sympathies go out for Tommy, Donna and all friends and family.

Be with our Lord now Tommy.

Chris "Tiny" Olson
Wayne Morton

Post by Wayne Morton »

My thoughts and Prayers going out to Donna and family. Tommy was a wonderful man.
Emmons 82 SKH, Emmons 93 Legrande II, Emmons 72 Fat Back, Mullen G2 Purple Heart, 82 Zum
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

I'm very sorry to hear this news as I understood Tommy was making a good improvement in his health. Prayers to Donna and Tommy's family!!

Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

This is so sad... words just fail me. I spoke with Tommy a month or two ago and he seemed so positive about everything. I'm just beyond sad about this.
Donna, my heart breaks for you... so did so much for him. You are the angel of all angels.
Rest in Peace, Big Guy...
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I am so sorry to hear of his passing. We will lift Donna and their family up in prayer.
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

I met Tommy once while he was playing in the ATL airport. He was such a nice guy and player. I’m glad I got to meet him. Prayers for Donna and his family.
Wayne Franco

I am so sorry to hear this

Post by Wayne Franco »

Both Donna and Tommy were good friends. Great folks I always got to talk to at the shows. The front of my Zum has a design Tommyhad made and had on one of his guitars. May he rest in peace. My condolences to Donna and the rest of the family.

Respectfully

Wayne and Brenda Franco
Neil Lang

Post by Neil Lang »

RIP Tommy. Prayers & condolences to Donna and the family!
Sho-Bud Steel Guitars, 3 Super Pro's, 1 Super Pro II (Rose) & 1 Finger Tip
Fender Guitars & Basses
Peavey Amps & Sound Equipment
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

Our deepest sympathies to Donna and family.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

This is devastating news. This one hits me hard. We had become good pals over many years of playing the shows together and Jane and I loved Tommy & Donna as family. They had been through so much over the past few years and we were hoping he'd pull through with flying colors. And now, to get this news, is terrible. Donna, Jane and I send our love and big hugs and sympathies to you and the rest of your dear family.
Last edited by Jim Cohen on 6 Dec 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Howington

Such sad news....

Post by Allen Howington »

Donna I am so sorry for the loss of Tommy, he was loved by us all, and so are you. We still have his music to hold dear to our hearts and memories......
Duane Brown

Post by Duane Brown »

This is a hard one. The last time we talked Tommy was really positive. Donna we have you in our hearts and in our prayers.
Cyndy and Duane
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I’m saddened to hear of Tommy’s passing since he really appeared
to making great progress with the transplant he endured. My sincere condolences to Donna and the family. Prayers in healing for we shall meet again.
Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 6 Dec 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

NO!
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
George Kimery

RIP Tommy Dodd

Post by George Kimery »

Oh no. After all he's been through for months with his lung transplants and heart attack, this just isn't fair. He treated me like a best friend the first time I met him many years ago. I always looked forward to seeing him and hear him play at the steel shows. I will miss him. My condolences and prayers to Donna, his friends, and family. May he rest in peace.
Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers »

This really breaks my heart. Tommy was a really good friend of mine and I'm really going to miss getting to see him. My wife and I will be praying for you Donna and the rest of the family. Rest in peace my friend
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

this is so sad. i have known tommy dodd for many years and played lots of music with him. i never learned to play the pedal guitar, but when tommy played, i always thought that if i ever could start over and go back 60 or so years and start out on the pedal steel...i would want to play like he did. i hope he has found rest and peace.

lastly, we should all have a supportive wife like donna dodd. my best to her and the dodd family.
Joe Naylor

So very sad to hear this

Post by Joe Naylor »

Tommy has became a very close friend over the passed several years. He would ship his CD's and T-shirts and things to me for the Phoenix show and would (as a joke) pay me in T-shirts. What a great steel player, great person, but more that all that a great friend. Those many calls that start with " Hi Joe this is Tommy Dodd " were always a joy. R I P my friend until I see ya again.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Ted Tonjes

RIP Tommy Dodd

Post by Ted Tonjes »

Just heard the sad news that Tommy Dodd passed away. My sincere condolences and all the strength for the family.
Emmons LeGrande 8/5 D10 SKH - Mullen G2 8/8 - Nashville 112 - Hilton Pedal- Revelation Tube Pre Amp - ISP Stealth power amp - Lexicon MX300- BJS & Hillman Tone Bars
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

what a year... very sad news. Tommy got my attention many years ago when he played Surfer Girl at the old Saluda SC show. seems Tommy always had a few tunes up his sleeve you weren't expecting. thanks for the inspiration Mr. Dodd. condolences to his family and friends.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Oh no. Tommy was always one player that I made sure to see at the Texas Jamboree. No one showed more pure joy while playing. He and Donna were always extremely gracious. Prayers for you and the family, Donna.
Steve Cattermole

Post by Steve Cattermole »

This news makes me real sad.I've been following him on the forum and I thought he was through the worst of it and getting better,so this is shocking.I'll miss his energy infused sets, but he left his mark on all of us.RIP TOMMY
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

This devastating news.I had the pleasure of playing guitar behind Tommy a couple of times at the SWSGA show in Phoenix Az.I was living in Anchorage at the time,Tommy told me that he lived there when he was a kid"military...Donna my condolences,You were his world.
Godspeed Tommy.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.