Buddy and Bobbe, Check it out!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Craig Stock

Buddy and Bobbe, Check it out!

Post by Craig Stock »

I was talking with my friend Chris Templeton today and we got talking about the lack of stuff going and and I said we need to(In Chris's words to kick the dust up a bit) and the subject of Bobbe Seymour came up and Chris recalled a story of one of Bobbe's wives or girlfriends found a box of records and proceeded to cut them in half and sent to the Big E. Don't know the reason why but hopefully someone can fill in the blanks, anyway, here is what Chris wrote and the picture to accompany, hopefully everyone is fine and doing well, thought this might cheer everyone up a bit :)

One day when I was at Buddy & Peggy Emmons' house, in Hermitage, he wanted to show me something downstairs.
In the basement there was a box with a whole bunch of records that were sliced in half. Upon further inspection, I saw they were all either his solo records or ones he played on that someone took the blade to (no pun intended).
Having my camera, I asked him to step outside with the box for a picture. Here is the picture.
Please chime in about why you think they were cut and I will be in touch with Craig about the answer in two weeks.
Keep steelin'- Chris Templeton

Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Wanda Vick? :o
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

A previous wife?...
William Gallagher

Post by William Gallagher »

I guess instead along with an "A and B side" to those old records there's now a C and D side...
'75 Emmons p/p, Duesenberg Alamo, Dobro with Hipshot, Nashville 112, Little Walter 22/50, Fender Blues Deluxe, and enough effects gear to fill a dump truck.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I can just see Bobbe's online sale ad now:

All albums featuring Buddy Emmons are now 1/2 off!!!

:lol: :mrgreen: :P
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

That was clever Donny and might well have been true. RIP Bobbe and Buddy
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

I heard that it was Bobbe that sliced them up, not a wife or girlfriend.

I’m not sure of the beef they had between each other. I think it was about previously owned guitars.
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

I vaguely remember that incident. I also remember how silly and what a waste of resources I thought that was. I’m glad E laughed at it.
Last edited by Tommy White on 11 Nov 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Tommy,
I'll bet you have a ton of great E stories. Maybe someday you can share them.
I can honestly say there's not a day that he doesn't cross my mind in one way or another, whether it's in a song he played on or one of the many licks of his that permeate my musical vocabulary.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Did he just cut up the album covers and possibly keep the actual vinyl records? If so that would show he really valued the records! Can't tell from the picture if there's any vinyl pieces there.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Yes, vinyl and all...
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Chris Templeton responds,

"Thank you for clearing that up, Ernie. I didn't ask, but I do remember some chuckling going on"
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

I recall a forum exchange in which a purchaser of a steel posted that he’d bought (I think) a red guitar( can’t remember the manufacturer) and stated that he’d purchased it from Bobbe and was told it was formerly owned by Buddy. Buddy (generally) posted that he had never owned the guitar. At that point Bobbe generated a long (“cya”) post of how based upon blah, blah, blah, he was under the impression it could have been Buddy’s guitar and might have mistakenly represented it as such. Buddy’s reply was priceless!!

He simply responded, “Nice try Bobbe.”

Maybe that’s what this one is all about. I wish I had time to search the forum and find the exchange because I’ve used the “Nice try” comment a few times over the years. Lol
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

I recall a forum exchange in which a purchaser of a steel posted that he’d bought (I think) a red guitar( can’t remember the manufacturer) and stated that he’d purchased it from Bobbe and was told it was formerly owned by Buddy. Buddy (generally) posted that he had never owned the guitar. At that point Bobbe generated a long (“cya”) post of how based upon blah, blah, blah, he was under the impression it could have been Buddy’s guitar and might have mistakenly represented it as such. Buddy’s reply was priceless!!

He simply responded, “Nice try Bobbe.”

Maybe that’s what this one is all about. I wish I had time to search the forum and find the exchange because I’ve used the “Nice try” comment a few times over the years. Lol
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I don't think E gave Bobbe Seymour much interest at all. He kinda floated above all the Seymour bullshit and looked down on it with amusement, if anything. ;)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Marty Broussard wrote:I wish I had time to search the forum and find the exchange because I’ve used the “Nice try” comment a few times over the years. Lol
Here's the old thread in question:

https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/008557.html
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Marty Broussard wrote:I wish I had time to search the forum and find the exchange because I’ve used the “Nice try” comment a few times over the years. Lol
Here's the old thread in question:

https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/008557.html
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Of course, Bobbe probably cut them in half with that damn table saw of his, And we know how that turned out…
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

A quote from Buddy Emmons' first post:
The only guitar I’ve ever played that had a black and red Formica finish now sits in the music room of Don Everly, and it’s an MCI, not an EMCI.
A little off topic. As a big fan of the Everlys it makes me wonder if Don also played steel?
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Duane Brown

Post by Duane Brown »

Joachim: Yes! Buddy told me that he gave his last MCI
to Don Everly. I said I didn't know he played. Buddy said he did and we moved on to some other topic.
Never heard anything else about it.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Thank you, Duane.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Here’s a true Buddy - Bobbe story.

Decades ago I was doing a week long course at Jeff Newman’s steel guitar school near Nashville. One day a few of us students went to Seymour’s shop where he happened to have a Fender D8 Stringmaster for sale for $400. We went back to the school and there was Buddy Emmons. He would often help Jeff out by teaching and playing a bit.

Anyway, we told him about the Stringmaster and he asked if any of us would be interested in going back and buying it for him. Sure! He gave us $400 and off we went. Only, right as we were leaving, he hesitated and said, “Umm,do me a favor. Dont mention my name to Bobbe when you buy it.”