George L Pickup Recommendation for Lap Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joshua Clements

George L Pickup Recommendation for Lap Steel

Post by Joshua Clements »

Bob Allen is building me a new frying pan. I am trying to figure out which George L should go in it. I play old country, gospel, and some Hawaiian, mostly in A6 tuning. I play through a Fender 5e3 Tweed Deluxe clone. What would you all recommend: E-66, EON, TW, PF-1, or SS-10?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

I had the same issue a while back and put this together, maybe it will be helpful. For what it's worth, I settled on an SS-10 for mine, but let your ears be your guide... By the way, Bob does great work, I think you'll be happy. Mike
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

Hi Joshua,
I have the Melbert steel SN #337 that I bought first from Bob a few years ago and later sold it to you and now I have it back. It has the George L SS10 pickup and it it probably the best pickup for that kind of lap steel.
Lots of luck with the new Melbert Frypan. I am sure Bob will do a god job building it for you.
I guess we both like the same style of music. I play Western Swing, Gospel, Old Country ( mostly Hank Williams Sr) and Hawaiian.
When you get the new lap steel, I would appreciate you sending me a video or soundtrack of you playing something Hawaiian. No hurry, just when you get a chance.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Joshua,
Let me know if I can help you possibly save some money on a George L's pickup.

Happy to help fellow steelers.

bferguson1947@gmail.com
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Paul McEvoy

Post by Paul McEvoy »

I have a George L in my Melbert and I like it, but would you maybe happier with lap steel pickup vs a pedal pickup for the music you play? A Lollar or something?

Not an expert at all.
Joshua Clements

Post by Joshua Clements »

Thanks for the comments. Mike, I am finding your post hugely helpful and informative. I've had a Melbert and a Remmington, both with George Ls. I love the sound in both and would like to stay with the brand.

Mr. Morgan, I will definitely send you a video when I can. Thanks for all your help through the years.