Fender Blues Junior amp for steel? Opinions?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Gerald Ross

Fender Blues Junior amp for steel? Opinions?

Post by Gerald Ross »

I currently use a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue (1992) for both my steel and my 'regular' guitar. It's a nice amp but I have a few reservations about it. One, it weighs 72 lbs., a little heavy to easily move around. Two, you have to crank it to get a nice fat tone (were talking divorce levels here). Setting the volume to '4' is almost too loud for a marriage and kids doing homework.

I was thinking of maybe getting a Fender Blues Junior. One 12" speaker, 15 watts, all tube, spring reverb, 25 lbs.

Any opinions? Thanks.

------------------
Gerald Ross
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Wyn Walke

Post by Wyn Walke »

DON'T!!! A Blues Jr is great for guitar or overdriven lap steel, but for pedal steel, no way. It breaks up way too easily. I gig with one all the time, and use it for the above with great success. Great amp, but not for pedal steel.....
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

The Blues Junior is a great amp for lap steel, but it can be awfully loud as well (much louder than you'd think that little box can be). I'd suggest trying one out if you can beforehand.

I own its smaller cousin, the Pro Junior, and I use it regularly on gigs with no problem being heard over drums or other guitars.

There are some interesting user reviews of the amp over on Harmony Central. It seems to be one of the most popular amps Fender sells.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 26 March 2002 at 08:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

My main amp is a Blues Junior and it's a great amp for lap steel with a full, warm tone and a lot of EQ flexibility. I really like it except for the folowing reservations ...

1.It doesn't have a huge amount of clean headroom before you start to hear the distortion creeping in.

2.The reverb is kind of lousy - nothing like the classic Fender spring reverb of old. I've considered getting an outboard reverb pedal but since I've been playing mostly unamplified acoustic stuff lately I haven't done anything about it.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

For a bit less money you can get a Fender Champion 30.It's about the same size with more clean power - 30 watts thru a 10".It's still not my first choice for pedal steel tho unless it was an extremely low volume gig like a duo etc.I might try a Fender Champion 65 - cheap,lightweight and 65 watts thru a 12". -MJ-
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

To Andy Volk:
How old is your Fender? I heard that they redid the reverb on their current version (2002) of this amp.

------------------
Gerald Ross
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

While we're speaking of amps for steels -- some of the newer guitar amps out there are called "digital modeling" amps, or something like that. My understanding of them is that they utilize some sort of digital processing to affect the sound produced by the amp and, while not totally accurate, they can supposedly produce a pretty good imitation of a variety of tube amps.

Has anyone ever tried one of these digital modeling amps with a steel? If so, what did you think about it?
Mikel Nelson

Post by Mikel Nelson »

I use a "new" Princeton 65 or a Deluxe 112 (same amp with 80 watts instead of 65 watts). These are solid state amps with "dynamic" modelling. Pleanty of clean volume.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

2.The reverb is kind of lousy - nothing like the classic Fender spring reverb of old. I've considered getting an outboard reverb pedal but since I've been playing mostly unamplified acoustic stuff lately I haven't done anything about it.

I'll 2nd that, the Jr. has a great tone but the reverb just sucks. Mine's been 'repaired' before and still doesn't sound good, it also creates a huge amount of hiss.

But the Jr. and a good reverb/chorus pedal is a great combo, at least for the lap steel and slide guitar stuff I play.
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Same question for Mike D. How old is your Fender? When did they repair the reverb?
I heard they fixed this problem because of complaints like yours.

------------------
Gerald Ross
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Realistically, it the Blues Jr. loud enough to gig with in small clubs (on lap steel)? I've heard it's loud, but can it keep up with electric guitar, bass and drums? Thx.
Philip Bender

Post by Philip Bender »

Hey Gerald,
I have the same problem that you have, namely my Sessions 500 is just too heavy, so while in San Antonio last year, I took along my Crate twin speaker, 25 watt amp with me. To say the least, you could blow the speakers witha lot of bass, it works really well on most songs you and I play on steel. When I am not using it, Tom Pickett plays through it in our practice sessions.
Aloha Nui,
Phil
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Hi G,
I like the Blues Jr. - nice guitar and lap steel amp. It has reverb, the Pro Jr. does not!. Loud enough, and esp. if you mic the amp. But does lack clean tones at high vol. My current love affair is with the Reverend Hellhound. Light, nice clean headroom, reasonable price, clean tones to dirty, single 12". Variable 40w, 60w. Reverend just went 'direct' - so the price compares with the Fender Deluxe 40w amps now. If their new amp due this summer is as good as the Hellhound that may be an alternative to the Blues Jr. Sure looks like that's what they are targeting. Problem is, now you can't find them in stores to try them out. http://www.reverendmusical.com/index.html

Anyone else try Hellhounds?

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature Run Wild" - govt. offical - Alaska

Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

70's era 'silverface' Vibro Champs are great little all-tube amps that sound warm at low volume, are light and portable. They have plenty of "vibe" and sound good for non-pedal steel and guitar. Great for practice, recording, jams, rehearsals etc. They are also a bargain at about $200 currently. (I paid $100 for mine but had to get the speaker reconed)...not bad for all tube point to point wiring, alnico speaker
and built-in vibro. Only trouble is no reverb. The '65 Deluxe reissues are a good choice at about 1/2 the weight of a twin, with the same looks and similar sound, but with alot less head room. They are plenty loud and are fairly clean up to 4 or 5. I'm happy with mine.
Haere mai,
Steve H.
S8A6<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Honum on 26 March 2002 at 11:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Realistically, I'd say the Blues Junior is plenty loud enough to gig with in small clubs. My Pro Junior has never been too quiet, even playing with two guitars, bass and a full drum set. However, I don't normally play with really loud people, so I can't guarantee this will work in your band's situation.
What I like about these amps is exactly what Andy warned about - they do break up at a relatively low volume. I don't want a completely clean sound - if I did, I'd use a solid state amp like the Fender Champion or Deluxe 90.
I understand that new tubes make a huge difference in the overall sound, as does a better speaker.
I had the opportunity to plug my Pro Junior into an external cabinet with four 12" speakers - man, what a difference! Makes my lap steel sound like A LAP STEEL.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

If you can find a vibrolux....that is a great small Fender amp. Two 10" speakers and the size of a deluxe amp...weight is minimal; and reverb is outstanding.
I used to own one and used it for non-pedal steel no problem and also for pedal steel in small record stores and radio shows.....Great amp.

------------------
Ricky Davis

<small>My Homepage
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Gerald, I missed your earlier post. It's maybe 3 years old, the reverb quit entirely about 3 months after I bought it. They said it was bad solder joints. It works now but still occasionally cuts out, it's hiss-y ALL the time so I mostly leave it off.
I'd be interested to hear the new upgrade. I'll have to check one out in a store.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Gerald, my BLues Jr. is about a year and a half old. It's relatively quiet and the reverb (crappy though it is) has always worked. For a light weight (15lbs) practice amp, it's hard to beat the solid state Danelectro "Nifty Fifty". It offers a surprising palette of tones and very musical distortion at low volume plus has a cool retro look. I've seen 'em new for about $90. http://www.danelectro.com/
Sam Marshall

Post by Sam Marshall »

I played a new Bles Jr. last weekend. Reverb is definitely better than my 2 year old one!

Sam in AZ
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Andy,
I went to Harmony Central to read reviews of the Blues Jr. Here is a review from yesterday. This guy did some mods on the tubes and solved some of the problems you're talking about.
---- Harmony Central review ----
This is an update to a previous post.
I've a the Blues Jr for about two years now. I've always liked it. Although the amp does not have a what you might call a "pro quality" sound, I still feel it is THE BEST all tube practice amp you can find for the money... and a very affordable, if slightly inferior, alternative to a Princeton Reverb.
That said, about a week ago, I finally got around to trying some different 12ax7 preamp tubes in it, and I have to say the difference is amazing! I tried a few combinations, but finally decided to stick with a Sovtek 5751 in the V1 position, and a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in V2, and an unknown 12ax7wa in V3, and it's like a totally different amp. It totally came alive. Now, it's much more full and shimmery/sparkly sounding.
In an unexpected turn of events, the reverb hiss that's been so annoying since day one is now gone. The reverb is a little more subtle... less surfy... but very nice indeed.
For anyone who has a Blues Jr, and is happy, but not overjoyed with the overall sound, try some different (good quality) pre-amp tubes. I don't think you'll be dissappointed. It still doesn't sound as good as my Silverface Vibrolux Reverb, but it does sound pretty darn nice!

------------------
Gerald Ross
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Gerald:

I think we may have had a conversation about the Blues Junior before. You can learn a LOT about any Fender amp reading [url=http://www.fenderforum.com,]www.fenderforum.com,[/url] otherwise known as the "FDP" forum, including known issues, modifications, tube changes etc, all written by musicians (just like the SGF).

As a result of reading that forum for awhile, I retubed my Deluxe Reverb Reissue amp with JJ preamp tubes, Brimar power tubes, replaced the Ruby Tubes rectifier with a Weber "Copper Cap", and replaced the Jensen "reissue" speaker with a Weber California, bought a multimeter and an inexpensive tool from Weber called a Bias Rite and now bias the amp myself.

Of the changes I made, the speaker and power tubes are probably the most dramatic, followed by the preamp tubes. The Sovtek 6V6 power tubes do not have the sound of a good NOS tube, and I found through the process that power tubes have a lot to do with the way the amp sounds, even a moderate volumes.

The rectifier tube that came stock hissed and hummed so I replaced it for good with the Copper Cap (about 15 bucks and sounds as good as a tube rectifier).

The JJ preamp tubes sound great, way better than the stock "Groove Tubes" (aka Sovtek)

The amp sounds so much better than it did stock, and it's been a fun learning process (not to mention wallet-lightening). Worth it though.
J W Hock

Post by J W Hock »

Andy

Does the "Nifty-Fifty" have reverb ? The web-site ad didn't say.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I believe the Nifty Fifty is without reverb.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I use two Nifty-Fifties with an RV-3 and enjoy the tone (realizing that it's a practice amp).
It sounds a little Dobro-ee in a way.
Gary Slabaugh

Post by Gary Slabaugh »

I use a Nifty Fifty also, good little practice amp, has a headset jack so you can play without waking everyone up. Mine has a little crackle in the headset though.

It does not have a vibrato though. There is a clean/dirty which gives a mean overdrive even at low volumes. I am happy other than no vibrato or reverb.

gary