fender artist

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Cantrell

fender artist

Post by Rick Cantrell »

Can anyone help me with the date of build,roughly on a Fender Artist pedal steel #0504
Thanks Rick
pedal steel/fiddle/guitar some keyboard
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Pictures would help. Single or double? This series was made in the mid-70s. Maybe just in 1976 from what I’ve seen.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Tony Russell

Post by Tony Russell »

You're right, Fender Artist (mostly ShoBud parts underneath) were produced in 1976/7; 4400 in total. The range comprised; single and double 10s in black or "mahogany" - which was the maple carcase stained brown. They also produced a student model, which was a "vinyl Maverick" in black vinyl. Many (like mine, also pictured) found their way to UK.
Here are some pictures from the 1976 Fender catalogue - which is a fascinating book anyway. The pages are split horizontally so that you can turn the pages to the guitar you want (top half) then flick through the lower halves and view amps to match!
I only attached the blurb on D-10, the rest are similar. Mine has several ShoBud parts making up to 8+6 and has had 8 KLs at one time! Serial no. 0233. It might be worth adding that the changer fingers pivot on a knife edge, not on a rod and I've only had one 3rd string break on a gig in over 40 years!

Tony Russell Davis
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

The black S-10 3+1 looks exactly like my first steel-- unfortunately, no pics survive. Sold after I got into an MSA D-10 Classic. Aside from having only 1 KL,IIRC it played and sounded OK.
Rick Cantrell

fender artist

Post by Rick Cantrell »

Thanks for the input, i was fairly certain that i had the the year range close. I bought one used in 79 in Beaumont TX
when my LDG was stolen, played it until i could afford another.
pedal steel/fiddle/guitar some keyboard
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

All Fender Artist models are 1976, made by Sho-Bud for Fender. They’re pretty much a Sho-Bud Pro with a different pickup and a Knife Edge changer design.
Tony Russell

Post by Tony Russell »

Dave Hopping wrote:The black S-10 3+1 looks exactly like my first steel-- unfortunately, no pics survive. . . . Aside from having only 1 KL,IIRC it played and sounded OK.
Hi Dave, if yours had only one KL I think it must have been this model;

It's the Student, 3+1, black vinyl with the fretboard direct onto the body (the "Artist" series had wood necks).
Tony Russell Davis
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I'm sure Ricky will chime in but it is my understanding that these were ALL built by Sho Bud for the brief period they were offered.

I did have a S10 here for a bit, 3+4 , it was nice guitar. Sure it had Fender components but it was nearly all a NEW ERA Sho Bud system underneath .

The body on the one I had was a WOOD body, I suspect Maple, dark brown stained. Very nice, played well.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

I have no experience or enthusiasm for the "Fender Artist"; as it doesn't have the name "Sho~bud" on it; therefore it escaped my interest.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com