New (to me) Steel!! MSA Classic D10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy Beisel

New (to me) Steel!! MSA Classic D10

Post by Andy Beisel »

I picked this lovely guitar up off of a friend of mine the other day. The SuperSustain pickups sound great! Check it out:

It also came with this volume pedal. It is a gear-driven type. Has anyone seen one like this?

Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Great guitars, built like a tank, solid as a rock. My first steel was an MSA Semi-Classic, single ten with only one knee lever. I played it for 20 years before moving up to a guitar with 4 knees.
Paul Wade

Msa d-10

Post by Paul Wade »

great guitars i had 4 d-10 one time heavy :eek: but will
last you many years.... looks like a Emmons Vol pedal??

p.w
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

That is an original MSA factory pedal that was usually supplied in the case in its own segmented holder within the original case.. Should have a pin on a small chain that fits into the volume pedal bracket on the pedal rack, and has 2 fingertip adjustment screws,, I used one on an MSA Classic for decades, and it was an excellent pedal.
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Andy Beisel

Post by Andy Beisel »

Bob Carlucci wrote:That is an original MSA factory pedal that was usually supplied in the case in its own segmented holder within the original case.. Should have a pin on a small chain that fits into the volume pedal bracket on the pedal rack, and has 2 fingertip adjustment screws,, I used one on an MSA Classic for decades, and it was an excellent pedal.
Oh very cool! Thanks for the info. It is a good pedal although the taper of the pot isn’t very suited to me. It goes to full volume very quickly unlike the Goodrich pedal I’ve been borrowing.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Andy Beisel wrote:
Bob Carlucci wrote:That is an original MSA factory pedal that was usually supplied in the case in its own segmented holder within the original case.. Should have a pin on a small chain that fits into the volume pedal bracket on the pedal rack, and has 2 fingertip adjustment screws,, I used one on an MSA Classic for decades, and it was an excellent pedal.
Oh very cool! Thanks for the info. It is a good pedal although the taper of the pot isn’t very suited to me. It goes to full volume very quickly unlike the Goodrich pedal I’ve been borrowing.
That isn't the fault of the pedal itself.
That happens a lot once an old school pedal gets a modern replacement pot.. The taper is never as satisfactory as the old AB 500K audio taper pedals, which haven't been made in decades, and although there are some reliable replacements out there, there is always a noticeable difference in taper that most players are not all that happy with, but learn to deal with after a while... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......