Bigsby Tone & Volume Pedal Pots

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Burke

Bigsby Tone & Volume Pedal Pots

Post by Joe Burke »

I have this great old Bigsby volume & tone pedal, but the pots are starting to go. I spray them with Deoxit, but that only lasts a couple of jams.

Does anyone know the values of these?

Maybe 250k for the tone and 500k for volume?

Thanks.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Measure across the outside terminals with an ohmmeter and you'll get closer than we could. Probably about what you guessed.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

Thanks Stephen. I’ll try this.
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

+1 on measuring the resistance. Found a couple of photos that may help, I'm seeing tone pot as 100k and volume as 500k. Not sure about the taper, though. Mike

Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Landon Jarrel

Post by Landon Jarrel »

The taper for the tone pot will be logarithmic - this produces a "doo wah" effect. For really dramatic and quick effect, use a linear pot. The volume pot will be logarithmic to ensure an even-sounding change in signal output.

Cool pedal!
Last edited by Landon Jarrel on 19 Oct 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Landon Jarrel wrote:The taper for the tone pot will be logarithmic - this produces a "doo wah" effect. The volume pot will be linear to ensure an even change in signal output.

Cool pedal!
Audio taper was created just to combat the situation you describe... linear taper pots don't work well for volume.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Thomas Stone

Post by Thomas Stone »

You should ideally have the pots out of circuit when you make your measurements, otherwise you will be measuring some parallel combination of the two pots.
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

Preferably with one side of the pot disconnected, just turn it to halfway and if the resistance is half of the total, it's linear; if it's way off from half (like 1/3), it's log.
Guacamole Mafia - California Country Rock band
Electrical engineer / amp tech in West Los Angeles
Mullen RP SD10 E9 / Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Princeton Reverb
"Now there is a snappy sounding instrument. That f****r really sings." - Jerry Garcia