Recording from quilter? Help!

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Sodos

Recording from quilter? Help!

Post by Ron Sodos »

I have a need to record my steel to my PC. Im wondering if the signal out (line out) from the back of my quilter brain is enough to record. Or do I need to run it through a preamp before sending to the pc. I have a Podxt if I need to.
Do I need an amplified signal (speaker out) or would that distort?
Appreciate some help

Ron Sodos
San Antonio TX
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Exactly which amp do you have? I use the XLR out on my Aviator for recording and it is excellent - plenty of gain. I also have the Toneblock 202 which gives you the option of using the XLR out or the cabinet simulated quarter-inch which also doubles as a headphone jack in the front. Either way they’re both very good in a recording situation.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Ron Sodos

Stoneblock 201

Post by Ron Sodos »

I use a toneblock 201 to an effects rack to a black widow speaker. All components. Not sure if the xlr direct out will work that way. I need to get a cable or adapter from xlr to 1/8" male jack to go into my pc sound card.[/i]
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The XLR out is at microphone Level which is low for a PC sound card input. If you are using a recording interface unit it will work OK just set the input for mic accordingly.

On a Steelaire, the XLR out is tapped, through resistors to lower level, directly from the speaker out point, according to Pat Quilter. On a TB202 amp the XLR is also mic level.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit