About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

autry andress

Mysterious Ralph Mooney Question

Post by autry andress »

I understand Ralph Mooney had a Megatone PU on his homemade
steel he built back in the day.
What was so special about that PU????
I assume it was about it back in the day.
I can't find any infor about those PU's.
But he had the tone to die for.
Thanks guys
Kevin Swan

spelling

Post by Kevin Swan »

"Magnatone" is what you should be looking for, rather than "Megatone."

Some previous discussion on the Forum if you do a search with that spelling.
"Just because you're not a drummer doesn't mean you don't have to keep time." Thelonious Monk
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

For the straight scoop, as relayed by Herb Steiner from the horse's mouth, the post you want to read is here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 3&start=25. Scroll down to the 15th reply on the second page referenced here.

I have some experience with Magnatone guitar pickups, both steel and Spanish guitars. I've had a few of the 6-string guitars and lap steels, all gone now, but they had a very, very sweet sound. Sort of Fender-like, but the sound was not quite as sharp - a bit sweeter. The pickups were way, way underwound as compared to a modern pedal steel pickup. I probably measured the winding resistance, but I don't seem to have a record of the exact numbers.

Currently, I have a 1953 Magnatone T8 that I got from Anthony Locke. You can see pics here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=359077. I love that guitar, and I just did some measurements of the pickups, which read, resistance-wise, between 6.25 and 6.5K Ohms. Physically, they closely resemble a Tele lead pickup, but are just a little wider, front-to back, to give a slightly wider aperture - but nowhere near as wide as a Fender Jazzmaster or Gibson P90 pickup. And the sound is outstanding - again, similar to a Fender type of sound but a hair sweeter. That is my total takeaway on every 50s Magnatone I've played - definitely very present in the treble end, but not harsh in the slightest.

I'm also a Magnatone amp freak. My 1957 Magnatone 260, with about 35 Watts and IMO the best true pitch-changing vibrato on planet Earth, is breathtaking in the right situation.