Mechanical noise in my Pro 3

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Calvin Todd

Mechanical noise in my Pro 3

Post by Calvin Todd »

So the Pro 3 pickup mount is 2 metal bars mounted on the body inside of the neck... I hope that makes sense.
I’m getting a TON of mechanical noise even with this 705 I just installed. I’m assuming the hard mount into the metal that’s hard mounted to the body is WHY this guitar has so much pedal noise....

I’ve got foam under the pickup in the cavity..
thinking of trying to find small rubber gaskets to try and put in the mounting holes of the pickup to isolate it from the screws but that would require some pickup hole widening and more work modifying than I’d favor doing...

Any help on ideas to reduce it more?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The pickup may be microphonic! Loose windings or a bad bobbin can cause that, and the problem would exacerbate any mechanical noise the guitar already produces. The only way to decouple the pickup from the body more would be to mount it with double-sided foam tape, and forego using screws.

A good way too tell if the pickup is microphonic would be to remove the strings and then tap the pickup with your fingernail. Any noise coming from the amp would indicate the pickup should probably be replaced.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Anyway you could record this noise and post it somehow? That would sure help diagnosis.RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.