finger picks

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Phillip Craig

finger picks

Post by Phillip Craig »

Anybody use the ProPik's finger picks? If you have which style did you use? Anyone try the angled picks on PDS?

Thanks for the help.
Dale Isakson

Post by Dale Isakson »

I like the split wrap reso for dobro. not good enough on psg to say.
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

I use the splits. I find them very comfortable, and by design, they don't have to be real tight to stay put. Easy on the cuticles as well! :) The guy at my local music store said that they went out of business, but, some other outfit bought them and will continue production.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Deering Banjo bought the product.

h
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Howard Parker wrote:Deering Banjo bought the product.

h
Thanks Howard!
Dick Sexton

Pro picks?

Post by Dick Sexton »

Yes, have for a long time. Reso-Splits/right angle w/middle finger front tab cut off. Suits my need and accommodates my arthritis.
John DeBoalt

Post by John DeBoalt »

I have a set I use strictly for reso playing. I have them set to stick out beyond the ends of my fingers, and I can pick hard without them coming loose. For my steel I have a set of Newman picks and wear them right against the tips of my fingers.
Equipment: Carter D10, Zum Stage1,
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

If you can't find the ones you want from Deering, try Dusty Strings in Seattle, I remember them having a large selection

Been a few years but I remember liking the way the blade was shaped but not the wide/split bands. The picks had a large number of variables

- 2 or 3 metals: Brass, stainless, N-S
- 2 bands
- 3 blade widths
- angled or straight

[edit to add: ] The Propik thumbpick that has a spade shaped nickel silver blade is really nice, really has the same tone as my nickel silver or sterling silver picks
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

I just received the ProPik 1 split wrap fingerpicks and ProPik metal-plastic thumbpick. I like the fingerpicks as the wraps aren't digging into my cuticles any more. The thumb pick is okay. It solved my problem of snapping the band on non XL thumbpicks but the wrap around ends in a sharp bend that digs into the side of my thumb I'll try remedying this with pliers. The pick material feels like a delrin type plastic, it holds up pretty well.