Peavey Session 115 w/Steel Dream

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Evan Pachal

Post by Evan Pachal »

I'm using a Benado Steel Dream. Just looking for some advice from any Steel Dream users as to how best connect from Telonics VP to my Mullen G2 and into my Peavey Session 115. Should I be running the VP into the front of the amp's "Send/Return Effects Loop POST-EQ" and the Steel Dream into the "Send/Return Effects Loop PRE-EQ"?
Or, is there a better way to connect my gear to ensure optimum sound?
Thanking everyone in advance!
Evan
Nicholas Cox

Post by Nicholas Cox »

I’ve never used the Steel Dream but I would imagine it depends whether you want the VP at the beginning or end of the signal chain. It looks like you could just put the VP before or after the in or out on the back of the steel dream. Personally I would go guitar —> VP —> steel dream —> amp
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Evan..Have not owned or used a 'Session 115' but on most earlier Peavey steel amps, the 'Pre EQ' was intended for volume pedal use, the 'Post EQ' for effects. However, since you are using an electronic pedal, there may be no additional benefit to using the loop, running guitar to vp to amp should work fine. Ordinarily, anything installed in the signal chain between the guitar and amp may degrade the signal slightly, best to hook your effects up both ways to determine if you detect a tone difference...FYI: Again , not familiar with the '115' but on the older amps, any inputs or outputs not being used should be cleaned occasionally (spraying 'Deoxit' or other cleaner/LUBE product on a 1/4" jack and inserting and removing it several times should help prevent any oxidation problems).
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

David is correct.

If you are using a Telonics or Hilton volume pedal, just plug it straight into the input of the amp.

The pre eq patch is another buffer which will not help you with an electronic volume pedal.

Then you can put your Steel Dream either in the Pre eq patch or the Post eq patch, depending on your tone preference.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Evan Pachal

Post by Evan Pachal »

Thank you very much for your advice! I'll give that a try...